Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

Ryegate

Hi All

I hope I have managed to attach a photograph!

Can someone help please?

It is not a particularly good view but I am confident someone will recognise it just by the shape.

Much appreciated, thanks.

best regards

Ryegate

post-22705-1210069497.jpg

Artillery?

Thanks both for the fast response!

It is a photograph that has come down from family members. No one knows who this is except we do have a Herbert Grist who we was a regular in the army. Looks as though he was a sergeant too as he has 3 sleeve stripes.

If it is this guy he was born and lived in Ipswich Suffolk.

I will try to check further in case there is a service record for him.

Thanks again

Regards

Ryegate

Hi both

Looks like you are absolutely right!

Out of all the service records I have tried to find for family members, this Herbert Grist has one!

He was in the RFA and transferred at a later date to the Royal Engineers.

Fantastic that you both recognised it from such a poor photograph. I am impressed!

Had my first visit to Ypres last week. An amazing experience. Will definitely be going again.

Thanks again

Best regards

Ryegate

Glad to be of some help,you may have this but it could be the MIC for your man,

regards,

John.

PS: The Badge you have illustrated York16 is the TF Royal Artillery Badge,worn by Territorial Batteries from 1908,most WW1 TF Batteries would have worn the Standard Artillery~"Ubique" Badge along with RHA,RFA & RGA,save for those already serving,hence the scarcity of the {genuine} "Laurel Spray TF" Badge

Thanks Harry,

that was a pic i found googling !, i wasn't too sure if it was the correct one,

cheers,

John.

Hello All

Sorry I have not responded to your posts before now. I have been away in Orkney so I haven't just ignored the help you have given me.

York16, thank you so much for the MIC. I did not have that and only recently discovered Herbert's service record on Ancestry as a result of receiving the photograph and trying to find out who this family member is.

Grumpy, there could well be something above the sleeve chevrons but it would be very difficult to tell what it is. I will get someone to post the whole photograph on Monday as I am not too good at reducing the size for the Forum. You may even be able to tell more by the uniform although the buttons are not clear enough to see much (I think the buttons give clues?)

His service record certainly shows him as being in the Royal Field Artillery with a couple of transfers into different regiments (Royal Engineers is one).

The owner of the photograph, a recently discovered family member, believes it may be his great grandfather on his father's side who was in the Suffolks and fought in both the Boer and Great War. I have looked at the Suffolks cap badge and with my non expert eye, I would say it is not the same as the one I posted. The Suffolks badge has a rounder shape. Does anyone agree?

Thank you once again for all the help you have given me. It is very much appreciated.

Best regards

Ryegate

Hi All

I have taken a closer look at Herbert Grist's service record and it appears to state he joined into the RGA in 1915. As he was 39 years old at the time I am assuming he was a regular and on the reservists. Would this be a realistic assumption?

He was later transferred to the Royal Engineers in 1917 and was sent to Dunkirk although it appears he was 'home' until that time.

Does this make sense?

Kind regards

Ryegate

And the second.

Looks like he might have the Gun badge above his chevrons ( from memory only I think it was worn on both sleeves). He also has a white (RA style) lanyard on his left shoulder attached to which would be the clasp knife laid down in RFA standing orders.

A possible scenario for this man is perhaps: pre-war service with the Suffolks as a Regular. Recalled to the Colours in 1914 and through a particular skill (perhaps gained in civilian life (survey ?)) he joins RE. Transfers to RFA and deploys overseas to Dunkirk. At a later stage returns to the UK and back to the RE.

All pure speculation though and based on preceding posts. A more detailed examination of his history and available military records should confirm the truth.

Thank you very much Frogsmile. That is indeed what he service record states except it does not state where he did his regular service but as he was already 35 when he was enlisted into RE I assumed he would have been in the reserves having been a regular.

The family member who sent me the photograph believes it is his Great Grandfather who served in the Suffolks, which of course it may be, and fought in both the boer and Great War. He may well be right.

The service record I have coincides with the information you have supplied but this is for Herbert Grist, his other Great Grandfather!

I had hoped to find out which Great Grandfather it is but there is no service record for Great Grandfather Southgate!

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Kind regards

Ryegate