Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Bury

Guest bewdley

Guest bewdley

My great-uncle, Private John Bury of the Worcestershire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars), served in the Gallipoli theatre of war. He died of wounds on 2nd October 1915 and is buried in the Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetery.

I don't have access to any sources except the CWGC site and "Soldiers Died In Great War" database, so this is all that I know about him from a military standpoint.

Could anyone shed any light on what might have been the circumstances leading up to his being mortally wounded? I'm not expecting (though I may be allowed to hope!) for information specifically on this solder, but I would like to learn what the QOWH was doing at the time prior to his death.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

http://www.1914-1918.net/CAVALRY/worcs.htm

I suspect that he died in hospital of wounds received at Gallipoli.

I don't know whether this book mentions him, but it would give some more detail. Unfortunately the author seems to have been invalided before Bury's death.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/DIARY-...ly-p-18152.html

DG

There is a book by Ray Westlake called British regiments at Gallipoli. It is in a Diary form for each of the Battalions which served there and will give you a good overview of actions by the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeomanry.

The Battalion War Diary is also at Kew under WO95/4295 for most of 1915.

Sotonmate

Hi here's his MIC

It says theatre of war Egypt is that classed as Gallipoli ? (I am genuinely asking as I don't know)

Mel

post-25542-1210022207.jpg