Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terlincthun,Boulogne.

Whilst taking pals photo requests & one or two for my own research I finally visited this place for the 1st time & I reckon I got the timing near enough right.Magic morning sun but wish I could have gotten there about an hour earlier.Never mind.

e5289cf7.jpg

GPS took me straight there for once.This cemetery/memorial is just so well placed.Beautiful surrounds.

Heres a view of the harbour where your Speed ferries tub gets in.Its just from the left of the 1st photo.

f572937b.jpg

zoom

9044bff6.jpg

ed3a87d3.jpg

Dont let the dates confuse.This is a huge Great War cemetary but has quite a few WW2 forces burials also.

West entrance...

1a4e1926.jpg

Looking at the layout,& recalling the warnings of thefts from cars from this site,I think the Eastern entrance is best for parking

307722d2.jpg

Look how the suns shining so harsh already.This was at 8.30am BST.

Later addition.

A mass grave from far away done at a time when the CWGC were building new cemeteries thousands of miles further south.

5aa1324e.jpg

3efa87c0.jpg

272cf904.jpg

There are unknowns from throughout France buried here.Some of which,I know are from the Arras/Bullecourt region.

A look outside.

90e3c926.jpg

You can get the lie of the land from this.The cem is at the bottom of a hill but not in a valley.It descends all the way to the sea/cliffs.

9e1dddcb.jpg

If you think the grass is a mess,fear not ^_^ .The blokes were there that morning to cut it.

805d973b.jpg

Looking back to Boulogne to the midgets memorial.

& here he is ,back turned on us :blush:

13cad8aa.jpg

82c2b6d8.jpg

If I recall my medal researching days correctly,it was here,at Boulogne,where the wee caporal bestowed his 1st Empires Legion d'Honneur's.Cant remember if thats right or not.

c46efc77.jpg

fb069823.jpg

Looking back to the west end.

0c4a55f0.jpg

It sounds totally crass,this is a marvelous place to walk around but its design is not one of my favourites* even though the layout is suberb & the location.Vis & Loos had design plans that make them just stand out & shout 'effort went into planning this'.Its just an esoteric thing.

*if you can have a favourite cemetery :unsure:

This was a first for me.

The 1st Russian grave I have seen in France so far.There were a couple more,too.

5ba4e24f.jpg

33dbb89f.jpg

I suppose he died from flu,or at the worst,dow after a long stay in hospital....

7d18a50c.jpg

No one could fault this view.I think the neighbours trees make this end of the cemetery so calm.

964f45fb.jpg

Looking east.The sun must hit the faces of the stones from just about dusk 'til dawn.

Sun & shade

c44ed0cd.jpg

8524284a.jpg

There are a number of interesting nationalities buried there.

Did you notice the damage to the wall at the back, and on some of the headstones. I seem to remember reading that in WW2 the Germans used it for target practice.

Bruce

...if I recall my medal researching days correctly,it was here,at Boulogne,where the wee caporal bestowed his 1st Empires Legion d'Honneur's.Cant remember if thats right or not.

Absolutely right, 59165!

An obelisk called the Stèle de la Légion d’Honneur marks the position of the imperial throne during the first grand ceremony of the awarding of France’s highest honour on 16 August 1804. Two thousand people were invested, in front of Napoleon and his entire army.

Love the cemetery pix, by the way! Hope the sun is still shining on Wed, when I am going over for a week! :)

Angela

Sorry for the gap,bit of an outage or summik.

Last few;

These look as new & the sun did them proud!

fdf5ed3e.jpg

A bit of a teaser for a thread that I will post soon after a bit of work.

This one ties in to our village.

23b71189.jpg

There are a number of interesting nationalities buried there.

Did you notice the damage to the wall at the back, and on some of the headstones. I seem to remember reading that in WW2 the Germans used it for target practice.

Bruce

Yes Bruce,I did see some damage that didn't look too recent.Look at that Russian blokes stone as there are a few chips & one I saw seemed to have been filled where there was,or had been a bullet type hole.

As to historically interesting graves,I believe its here that all the RFC blokes are posted that died in the German bombing raid.

I will check next time.

This is a modern version on the same theme,thakfully its outside the wall.

29d697c4.jpg

Absolutely right, 59165!

An obelisk called the Stèle de la Légion d'Honneur marks the position of the imperial throne during the first grand ceremony of the awarding of France's highest honour on 16 August 1804. Two thousand people were invested, in front of Napoleon and his entire army.

Love the cemetery pix, by the way! Hope the sun is still shining on Wed, when I am going over for a week! :)

Angela

Cheers Angela,

nice to get one right ,once in a while!

We have a print from a wood carving of this ceremony.Forgot about that.Also,back in the day,I had a commemorative medallion of this also.

Have a magic trip.Weather looks good for most of the week (French tv meteo report last night so,take a brolly :P )

Dave.

Nice to see these pictures. My visit last year was cut short on reading in the visitors book about thefts from cars. :angry2:

Dave

Guest geoff501
This was a first for me.

The 1st Russian grave I have seen in France so far.There were a couple more,too.

I suppose he died from flu,or at the worst,dow after a long stay in hospital....

Putting my search engine into hyperdrive....

All late deaths.

Name: ANDRETISON, A

Nationality: Russian

Date of Death: 15/01/1919

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 13 Row A Grave 13.

Name: LENOW, N

Date of Death: 02/01/1919

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 12 Row E Grave 31.

Name: NUSAISCHEW, C

Date of Death: 21/12/1918

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 12 Row D Grave 29.

Name: SCHWARTZ, A

Date of Death: 18/12/1918

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 2 Row D Grave 19.

The sun must hit the faces of the stones from just about dusk 'til dawn.

You didn't really mean that, did you. :wacko:

Only teasing, mon ami. :D Great pics.

You didn't really mean that, did you. :wacko:

Only teasing, mon ami. :D Great pics.

Ah,Kay.

You would have loved it!

I musn't confuse vampire films with real life :rolleyes:

Magic morning,I got the folks photos done(missed a few as we lost a load of emails when aol went down a while ago,oops) & then found the brother of a man local to us in Auberchicourt that I'd been looking up.

Apart from forgetting me wallet,its bin a perfect day!

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the armistice signed at Brest-Litovsk,dec.15th 1917,can some kind soul please tell me what all these Russians were doing this far west in 1919?

Dave.

Nice photos, taken on a beautiful morning.......

Does anyone know the story of the men found at Ovillers in 1982 , and buried in the mass grave. how were they found etc....??? It seems a long way to take the bodies for burial.

regards

Tom

Hi Tom.

I've heard stories that partials & unknowns have been moved 'up north' for a while from a few sources in France.

I dont know the history of these men but I recall reading something about it on here.Perhaps try the search?

Good luck,

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I was holidaying just outside Boulogne a few months back but did'nt know about this cemetery. I visited Etaples and Wimereux but completely missed this one!!

Nevermind...across to the Somme for a few days on Saturday...

regards

Tom