Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A/Cpl Ernest Hitchen

Neil2

My great-uncle Ernest Hitchen (regimental number 1909) was killed in action at Gallipoli "on or since" August 20 1915. I am trying to pinpoint the location of the 4th Battalion Essex Regiment, in which he served. I believe it may have been in the Anafarta Ridge zone after but wonder if anyone knows for sure.

Regards,

Neil

post-34224-1209994949.jpg

His name appears as Hitchin on his MIC:

Description Medal card of Hitchin, Ernest

Corps Regiment No Rank

Essex Regiment 1909 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/9

Ian

Hi Neil,

According to the information that I have from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-'19, part 48, The Essex Regiment your great uncle was Killed in Action on August 20, 1915.

Hitchen, Ernest. Born Maldon, Essex. Enlisted Burnham-on-Crouch. , 1909, Acting Lance Corporal. Killed in Action Gallipoli, 20/8/15.

According to the War Diary of the 4th Essex Battalion Headquarters were established at 'Lone Tree Gully' on August 20. According to John Wm. Burrows in Essex Units in the War 1914-1919, Volume 5, The 4th Essex was entrenched on the southern slope of 'Kiretch Tepe Sirt from August 17th onwards. However, the 4th was ordered to straighten out the line the following days. I'm not exactly sure where the trenches were.

The War Diary mentions that on August 20, 1915 9 soldiers were killed and 32 wounded.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi all -

Thanks very much, great information. I feel sure Kirtech Tepe Sirt is correct Michael, with the trenches coming down from near Jephson's Post on the left to the plain on the right. I've seen Ernie's name on the Cape Helles Memorial so assume he died by shell or bomb or perhaps in an area retaken and held by the Turks. The locations you gave led me to Hamilton's Diary. No mention there of actions on that day but I assume the straightening of the lines on the 20th was making ready for the push of August 21st.

regards,

Neil.

• 9 months later...
My great-uncle Ernest Hitchen (regimental number 1909) was killed in action at Gallipoli "on or since" August 20 1915. I am trying to pinpoint the location of the 4th Battalion Essex Regiment, in which he served. I believe it may have been in the Anafarta Ridge zone after but wonder if anyone knows for sure.

Regards,

Neil

Neil - just seen this. I am researching all of the Maldon men and have some stuff on Ernest Hitchen. Is there any link to Samuel Hitchen on the same memorial? Is there any chance of me using the picture of Ernest in my forthcoming book?

Regards.

SPN.