Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Lancashire Battery RFA (TF) (3rd West Lancs Brigade)

daggers

In 1908 local directories show that the West Lancashire Division, T.F. included :3rd West Lancashire Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, T.F., with headquarters and one battery at Admiral Street in Liverpool, one (13th Lancashire Battery) at Earp Street, Garston, and another at Widnes. The 1912 Army List puts the 13th Lancashire Battery at 1, Earp Street, Garston, the 14th at Hale and the 12th at Admiral Street. The Brigade’s adjutant was then Lieut. F.L. Congreve R.A. who was the brother of one winner of the Victoria Cross and uncle of another [is this correct?]. He himself was to win the DSO and MC during the Great War. In 1913 the 13th Lancs. Battery was commanded by Major H.J. Decker, and other senior personnel listed were Major J.C.M. Williams, Sergeant-Majors W. Taylor and F.F. Tuersley , the latter described as Drill Instructor. In May 1916 yet another national reorganisation renumbered the unit as 277th Brigade, with the Garston battery (13th) becoming B/277.

It seems that after the Armistice, the battery at Garston was disbanded and the TA/TF never returned to Garston.

Local searches have produced no photograph or description of the premises at Earp Street, which have long disappeared. The building is likely to have been a conversion rather than a purpose-built drill hall.

If anyone can offer information or better still a picture of the battery or its headquarters, please get in touch.

Daggers

In 1908 local directories show that the West Lancashire Division, T.F. included :3rd West Lancashire Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, T.F., with headquarters and one battery at Admiral Street in Liverpool, one (13th Lancashire Battery) at Earp Street, Garston, and another at Widnes. The 1912 Army List puts the 13th Lancashire Battery at 1, Earp Street, Garston, the 14th at Hale and the 12th at Admiral Street. The Brigade’s adjutant was then Lieut. F.L. Congreve R.A. who was the brother of one winner of the Victoria Cross and uncle of another [is this correct?]. He himself was to win the DSO and MC during the Great War. In 1913 the 13th Lancs. Battery was commanded by Major H.J. Decker, and other senior personnel listed were Major J.C.M. Williams, Sergeant-Majors W. Taylor and F.F. Tuersley , the latter described as Drill Instructor. In May 1916 yet another national reorganisation renumbered the unit as 277th Brigade, with the Garston battery (13th) becoming B/277.

It seems that after the Armistice, the battery at Garston was disbanded and the TA/TF never returned to Garston.

Local searches have produced no photograph or description of the premises at Earp Street, which have long disappeared. The building is likely to have been a conversion rather than a purpose-built drill hall.

If anyone can offer information or better still a picture of the battery or its headquarters, please get in touch.

Daggers

Grahams Cartons, blue wagons? They were at the top of Earp St, Seddon Rd end, for many years, may be worth dropping them a line to see if they have any pictures of their old depot.

As an aside though possibly related, the Army Cadets had units badged R.A. in Toxteth and Garston until recently, as daft as it sounds, the Cadets stayed in the areas they were formed even though the parent unit had disbanded/left the area.

Slasher ex C Troop R.A. (Garston) ACF

Slasher

Thanks for that. Grahams and their building have gone and new housing is on the site. That was the site of TF centre according to maps, and had earlier been a tram shed of sorts. An earlier Volunteer HQ had been in School Street [also gone], under the bridge, but not used by Gunners.

There are photos in existence of the Hale battery at practice, but I have not come across any Garston material - yet.

Daggers

Daggers,

You probably have this information already ( From West Lancs Div book 1911) If you cannot read the text I will E mail you a copy, I only have a poor photocopy myself.

Slasher,

I dont suppose you know anything about the existing cadet unit is Speke which has " Liverpool Irish " in its title do you ?

Peter

post-63-1209987321.jpg

Peter

Thank you very much for the 1911 copy which I have not seen before. I should be grateful if you could email the full text. I think you have my details?

I have some details of the Liverpool Irish which after many changes became part of 103 Lancs Artillery Volunteers in the 1960s. I expect the cadet unit was, and maybe is still affiliated. Let me know if you want what I have.

Daggers

Slasher,

I dont suppose you know anything about the existing cadet unit is Speke which has " Liverpool Irish " in its title do you ?

Peter

From memory, the L'pool Irish Cadets are 'A' Troop RA which were (historically) at Toxteth, they are now next to the Metal Box Club. Strangely the Cadets who are based at 208 bty (Liverpool Irish) R.A. in Aigburth are 'B' R.A. and have no affiliation to the L'pool Irish :blink: As far as I know the L'pool Irish Cadets still wear the Caubeen with R.A. Badge and red and blue hackle.

Slasher