Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for my grandfathers war service

briandavid

i am searching for my grandfathers service history . He was in the duke of wellingtons west riding regiment.

HIS NAME; Alfred Harrington born Scarborough 1898

Enlisted; Halifax december 1914--january 1915

Service No; 15121

Rank; we believe he was demobilised in 1919 at the rank of sergeant

The question i am posting is does anyone know if he was enlisted into the 9th battalion

Description Medal card of Harrington, Alfred

Corps Regiment No Rank

West Riding Regiment 15121 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/9

From the NA website, i will have a quick look on Ancestry to see if his medal card is on there and with luck it may tell us the battalion

Ellie

Welcome to the forum,

His service record is on Ancestry he Attested 04/01/1915 and was Posted to the 9th Bn WRR 31/01/1915 he served with them throughout the war. Not becoming a Sgt, discharged to Class Z as Private on 27/05/1919.

Regards Charles

Welcome aboard.

My GGF served with the 9th Battalion and was killed on 2nd March 1916 during the actions at the Bluff. I have researched in some details the movements of the 9th Battalion and visited several key araes on the Western front. If you have any general questions let me know. Not promising I will know the full answer though!!

Welcome aboard.

My GGF served with the 9th Battalion and was killed on 2nd March 1916 during the actions at the Bluff. I have researched in some details the movements of the 9th Battalion and visited several key araes on the Western front. If you have any general questions let me know. Not promising I will know the full answer though!!

Thanks for your reply - my brother and I wanted to know if my father's father was in the 9th Battalion so that we could confirm that he was in the 17th Division. We could thew buy the book with the same title and read of his travels. He was gassed and only hads one lung that worked - finally dying of lung cancer at age 78 (in 1976).

If we have any queries, we will contact you - after we have read the book.

Thanks again.

David Harrington

Welcome to the forum,

His service record is on Ancestry he Attested 04/01/1915 and was Posted to the 9th Bn WRR 31/01/1915 he served with them throughout the war. Not becoming a Sgt, discharged to Class Z as Private on 27/05/1919.

Regards Charles

Thanks for your info - we couldn't find an attestation date but a friend who gave us details of my mother's father (in the Cambridgeshire Regiment) said that he was enlisted in Dec 1914/Jan 1915. He travelled from Bradford to Halifax as the recruiting Sergeant was too strict on age in Bradford (he was just 17).

My uncle has his photo in uniform and believed that he was a corporal when it was taken.

No-one knows much about his war service as he never talked about it - unlike my other grandfather.

I will let you know any further developments.

David Harrington

Corps Regiment No Rank

Date 1914-1920

From the NA website, i will have a quick look on Ancestry to see if his medal card is on there and with luck it may tell us the battalion

Ellie

Corps Regiment No Rank

Date 1914-1920

Ellie

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=V...amp;pid=3673583

Its on Ancestry but it doesn't give his battalion....sorry.

Ellie

Thanks for the info. I have had the details from Ancestry sent to me by a very good friend and have seen why he didn't make Sergeant - yes, he was demobbed as a Private. I am very grateful for the help that I have received from the forum.

David Harrington