Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Hugh Richard Augustin Whytehead 6th Gurkha Rifles

marine pete

Capt Hugh Richard Augustin Whytehead Regiment 6th Gurkha Rifles Killed in Action 22nd May 1915 Aged 34. Son of Thomas Bowman Whytehead of Acomb House York Served in the South African War Remembered TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY A Freemason in the Provence of Yorkshire North and East Ridings Any Information Please Regards Peter.

Hi Pete , found his medal card on ancestry it basically says he was awarded the 15 star trio , served with the 1/6 ghurka rifles as a captain and his bsm and victory medals were awarded to him as a captain in the indian army

regards Dave

Name: Hugh Richard A Whytehead

Birth: Jun 1881 - York, Yorkshire - East Riding, Yorkshire - North Riding, North Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Name: Hugh Richard A Whytehead

Birth: Jun 1881 - York, Yorkshire - East Riding, Yorkshire - North Riding, North Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Thanks dave Regards Peter

According to the regimental History, he joined 20/2/05. He commanded B Coy, and was killed leading a counter-attack on KOSB trench, about 300 yards NW of Gurkha Ravine.

According to the regimental History, he joined 20/2/05. He commanded B Coy, and was killed leading a counter-attack on KOSB trench, about 300 yards NW of Gurkha Ravine.

Thanks Steven for that Information regards Peter.

Pete

1. Commissioned as Second Lieutenant in Militia R.G.A., Durham Artillery (LG#27177, 27 March 1900)

The Durham Artillery (Western Division),

The undermentioned Gentlemen to be Second Lieutenants :—

Arthur Cecil Bergheim. Dated 28th March, 1900.

Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead. Dated 28th March, 1900.

Link is Here

2. Commissioned as Second Lieutenant in Line Battalion (LG#27354, 13 September 1901)

The undermentioned Candidates, nominated by the General Officer Commanding in Chief, South Africa, to be Second Lieutenants. Dated 14th

September, 1901:—

The Northumberland Fusiliers,

Lieutenant Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead from the Imperial Yeomanry and from Second Lieutenant the Durham Artillery, vice J. M.

Maxwell-Lyte, seconded.

Link is Here

3. Second Lieutenant in Indian Army (LG#27642, 5 February 1904)

Second Lieutenant Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead, 71st Coorg Rifles, from the Northumberland. Fusiliers. Dated 27th September, 1903, but to rank from 14th September, 1901.

Link is Here

4. Promotion to Lieutenant (LG#27679, 24 May 1904)

Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants.

Dated 14th December, 1903.

Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead, 71st Coorg Rifles.

Link is Here

5. Promotion to Captain (LG#28376, 24 May 1910)

Lieutenants to be Captains.

Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead, 6th Gurkha Rifles. Dated 1st April, 1910.

Link is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

4. Promotion to Lieutenant (LG#27679, 24 May 1904)

Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants.

Dated 14th December, 1903.

Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead, 71st Coorg Rifles.

Link is Here

5. Promotion to Captain (LG#28376, 24 May 1910)

Lieutenants to be Captains.

Hugh Richard Augustine Whytehead, 6th Gurkha Rifles. Dated 1st April, 1910.

Link is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve For all your help Regards Peter.

• 5 years later...
Guest Max Wall

Capt Hugh Richard Augustin Whytehead Regiment 6th Gurkha Rifles Killed in Action 22nd May 1915 Aged 34. Son of Thomas Bowman Whytehead of Acomb House York Served in the South African War Remembered TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY A Freemason in the Provence of Yorkshire North and East Ridings Any Information Please Regards Peter.

I realise this is a very old post that I'm replying to but I have a photograph of Hugh Richard Augustin Whytehead as a child with his mother, brother and two sisters.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Max He was a Freemason in Yorkshire North & East Ridings Albert Victor Lodge No 2328 is it possible to let me have a copy I will send you my PM Peter.