Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform experts - your help please!

kloughnane

Good evening.

This is the first time that I have uploaded a photo to this forum so I'm hoping that it works OK.

The attached photo is of my wife's great grandfather, John Card. My wife's grandmother (John's daughter) tells me that it was taken in Egypt during the First World War, and that he was with the Royal Artillery. However......I am no expert but the cap badge doesn't look like Royal Artillery to me.

I had some one look at the photo for me and I was told that the bandolier is 1903 pattern, but the helmet is post First World War. He was unable to ID the regiment.

There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this forum so I was wondering if some one could shed some light on this picture for me.

Thanks in advance.

Kev Loughnane

post-18622-1209928830.jpg

I wouldnt say the helmet /sun hat was post war , but more of a local pattern. Sort of solar topee Indian/Egyptian type thing. Is that a star on the badge , any chance of close up. "MO"

Mo,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have tried to zoom in on the cap badge but there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail.

What do you think?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

post-18622-1209930344.jpg

It looks like and at a guess ..... Royal Engineers "MO"

imagesre.jpg

The hat is an India ptn helmet known as the Cawnpore... ;) And certainly worn in many theatres in WW1

The badge cold be RE, but Dorset Yeo is also a contender, as he has spurs and mounted style puttees

The Dorset Yeomanry were in the right area at the right time...

Mo,

Thank you very much. I have just looked on Ancestry and found an MIC for a John Card of the Royal Engineers. The "Theatre of War first served in" is shown as "(3) Egypt". Not sure what the "(3) means though!

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Mo,

Thank you very much. I have just looked on Ancestry and found an MIC for a John Card of the Royal Engineers. The "Theatre of War first served in" is shown as "(3) Egypt". Not sure what the "(3) means though!

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Spurs and badge suggest mounted engineers over infantry. I could be a thousand miles off.