Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade

Walwyk

At about midnight on the 21/10/1914 my Great Uncle was taken prisoner by the Germans following the fighting on the Aisne, at Houplines..Battle of Armentiers?

He says in his memoirs he was taken with two others?

Do we know who these two others were?

My Great Uncle spent two years in a POW camp before being exchanged and sent to Holland.

Lille. Gottingen Hanover, Cassel Hesse Nassau, Grossenvedermoor, Venlo, The Hague Hotel Galleries Schevingen and finally Ripon Yorkshire, are the places he mentions.

Susanne,

The 3rds RB's War Diary for 21/10/14 reads as follows:-

1 a.m. Moved back to new position R. of Porte Egal Fme. Trenches already dug for us.

Fairly quiet day.

Casualties, 3 Riflemen killed, 13 N.C.O.'s and Riflemen wounded.

22/10/14

1.30 a.m. Strong attack by Germans. Their left overlapped our pivot and they got behind us.

4 a.m. Sent out party to clear out Germans, but most had gone.

More attacks during day.

Dug new trenches left flank.

Casualties, 2 Riflemen killed, 9 N.C.O.'s and men wounded, 1 N.C.O. missing.

Andy

Porte Egal Fme? Is this a farm? or the name given to the trench? I wonder if I could find this place? Too long ago perhaps.

I quote from the memoir. 'They' (the Germans) did very little damage, burning down two farms without removing the cattle. Sounds like a lot of damage to me.

At about midnight on the 21/10/1914 my Great Uncle was taken prisoner by the Germans following the fighting on the Aisne, at Houplines..Battle of Armentiers?

He says in his memoirs he was taken with two others?

Do we know who these two others were?

My Great Uncle spent two years in a POW camp before being exchanged and sent to Holland.

Lille. Gottingen Hanover, Cassel Hesse Nassau, Grossenvedermoor, Venlo, The Hague Hotel Galleries Schevingen and finally Ripon Yorkshire, are the places he mentions.

Could you tell us you great uncles name, I have the roll for Rifle Braigade lads taken POW during 1914. The roll dosent include a lot of info, just date taken POW, home adress etc.

John.

Great Uncle Ernest John Meno Van Walwyk 1879-1937 aka Wally!

Nominal Roll of N.C.O.'s and Men, prisoners of War of the Rifle Brigade in accordance with War Office letter No. 131/Supplies/100. (Q.M.G.6) dated January 6th, 1919

The below info is from the above Roll. You will note that the Roll gives your great uncles date he was taken POW as the 28th August, 1914.

John.

post-5661-1210068456.jpg

John,

The 3rd RB were still in England at this time, his medal rolls all confirm 3rd Rifle Brigade. From the 19th August until 6th September they were training around the Cambridge and Newmarket area. His 1914 Star roll states France 10/9/14. The 3rd RB entrained from Newmarket for Southampton on the 7/9/14 and embarked on the S.S. Lake Michigan on the 8/9/14, they arrived off St. Nazaire on the 10/9/14 and remained outside the harbour while the rest of the Division disembarked.

Andy

Andy

It must be a mistake by whoever typed the Rolls up in 1919. These Rolls were submitted by all regiments for men entitled for the Princess Mary Christmas Gift Tin who were taken POW in 1914.

John

Hi John,

That was my thought also, seems to be a few missing in the list also assuming that this is an alphabetical list.

Andy

Andy

It is an alphabetical list, but this list is just the lads that had been repatriated (I think). There are other lads on a handwritten list that give home addresses etc.....34 pages in all....If you would like them (I know you are a keen Rifle Brigade researcher, etc), that's not a problem, PM me your home address and I will burn them on a CD for you and pop it in the post for you.

John

John,

That is a very generous offer, thank you very much, message sent.

Andy

Nominal Roll of N.C.O.'s and Men, prisoners of War of the Rifle Brigade in accordance with War Office letter No. 131/Supplies/100. (Q.M.G.6) dated January 6th, 1919

The below info is from the above Roll. You will note that the Roll gives your great uncles date he was taken POW as the 28th August, 1914.

John.

Something not right there? the date of capture I mean.

on the rest of the list can you find a CSM Harry Ellse?

Thank you Susanne

Susanne

See posts 7 and 8 ...it must have been a typing error in 1919...The best match i can see is Ellis on the Roll is for 889, Rifleman, G. Ellis. 1st battalion, taken POW, 26-08-1914....cant see a CSM Harry Ellse

John.

Susanne,

I don't think Ellse was taken as a POW, he was later commissioned in the war.

Andy

Susanne,

Ellse was not a POW, he was commissioned on the 24/11/14.

Andy

John,

POW list all received, just wanted to say publicly thank you very much indeed, the ones with the home addresses is a great help indeed.

Andy

everyone is so busy collating information and sharing it, thank you for sharing it with me. I have established (see Soldier's forum) that our CSM Ellse was not the Harry Martin Ellse that we all hopefully thought was!

Susanne

• 6 years later...

I've just found this topic and wonder if anyone can help me find info. on Stanley Chapman as a POW in Turkey, (he survived the war). I've looked and not found his service/pension record,(I know that many were destroyed in WW2). From a medal card I think is his, Stanley Chapman, Rifle Brigade, Reg. No. 1662, Theatre of War first served in, 5a, Date of Entry therein 25 8 15. He was born in India and on the 1911 census he was at Fort William, Calcutta with other troops. Thank you and any help or leads will be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I don't have internet at home so it might be several days until I can get back to the library or other public computer to check the forum. I don't live in the UK so can't check records personally.