Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY

fritz

This one ( that is me, rather strange English construction there, sorry) has stayed for 26 years now so you might have something there. :P

Jim

Very odd construction your English. But my best congratulations it seems you are the eldest tourist here.

Fritz

Fritz

If you pass that way again and can get a photo of the grave of ....

Pte. Herbert Billinghurst

20th Hussars

Plot II, Row H, Grave 9

That would be great, Thanks

Hello Patrick,

here comes your one.

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz,

as you are going to be in Niederzwehren Cemetery in the near future, could I please request a photograph of the following man's headstone?

LLOYD-JONES, Private WILLIAM ARTHUR, 42173, 1st/4th Bn., East Yorkshire Regiment. 15 September 1918. Age 19. Grave Ref. I. C. 13.

It would be interesting also to know the personal inscription (if any) at the base of the stone, if this is not clear from the photo.

Many thanks,

LST_164

Hello LST_164,

this is W.A. Lloyd-Jones grave. No personal inscription visiable.

Best wishes

Fritz

Fritz,

thank you for persevering with this request of mine and for all the others you are handling.

I visited Hannover some eight years ago, while (of all things) being part of a small team running a Summer holiday club for British soldiers' children in the Army bases. We decided to take a train ride to the city, and had a very good experience there.

I was very moved by the series of large models in the Town Hall showing how the city had developed over the ages, only to be left as a pile of ruins by 1945, and then rebuilt. We entered a church which had been almost destroyed by bombing, and listened to a recital by an organist and saxophonist - unusual combination but it was quite lovely and haunting music in those surroundings. I still have the CD.

We enjoyed Germany (I like sausages and weissbier!) but were completely overwhelmed by the size of the food portions! I can remember the worry of our local town council in Wales after visiting their twin town, having been feasted like royalty, as to how on earth they could begin to match this abundance when the German councillors made the return trip!

Can recommend the experience to anyone who hasn't been there, and would like to go back some day.

Anyway, danke viemals for doing this for us.

LST_164

Hell LST_164,

I am pleased to read you had enjoyed your journey to Hannover. Actually I live in Braunschweig (Brunswick) near Hannover and I think perhaps you would be more intersted in this town with his medieval sites, which remind us to Duce Heinrich der Löwe (Henry the lion?), son-in-law of English king Henry II. One of lots of touch that Northern-Germany had to Britain.

About the portions of food I am sorry to say that much people here are too fat. But nevertheless our guests don´t go to bed hungry. But you should know there is the "Neue deutsche Küche" (New German cookery), where good meal is not a matter of quantity. Minor can be more!

Best wishes to Wales, where I had a splendid holiday some years ago.

Fritz

Fritz

I would be grateful if you could get a photo of this headstone.

Phillips Fredrick Gunner Royal Field Artillery 17 October 1918 Niederzwehren Cemetery, VI E 16

Regards

David

Hello David,

this is your turn now.

Fritz

And once more.

Very odd construction your English. But my best congratulations it seems you are the eldest tourist here.

Fritz

Not quite, there are other teachers in our schools who have been here even longer. Could be those portions...... :P

Jim

I would be very gratefull Fritz to see a photo of my great uncles grave at Niederzwfhren. his name is Thomas Haylor, grave number I.V.D.17 It would be very kind of you to put a photo on here. Thankyou. John.

Hello John,

this is for you.

Fritz

And another pic of thomas Haylor´s grave.

Hi Fritz :D

Can you help me out too? Two photographs of the following men:

A H Larcombe - Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) - 26.10.18

Plot IV Row G Grave 7

J G Wilmott - 27696 - Wiltshire Regiment - 6.11.18

Plot V Row L Grave 14

Vielen Dank!

Tony :rolleyes:

Hello Tony,

the first delivery for you.

Fritz

And this one.

Super photos Fritz.

I wonder if I could impose on you by adding one more man to your ever growing list. :)

BILLING, Walter Henry

R/16679

1/KRRC

Grave ref: IV. G. 6

Many thanks.

Wesley

Hello Wesley,

here it is.

Fritz

And this.

Jim,

what is your weight?

And the other teachers, are they still British?

Fritz

Fritz-Please would it be possible for me to add this man to your list ?

9914 Private William Cecil Page Died 06/12/1918 grave reference VIII. G. 16.

Many Thanks

Hi,

here comes the next pics.

And another view.

Fritz

Would you be able to add the following man I am researching to your list?

Second Lieutenant J T Higson, Northamptonshire Regiment, 4 August 1918, Grave ref II. H. 11

Many thanks if you can.

Best Regards

Keith

And this is for Keith.

Fritz, Good Evening.

Can I please add two more requests for the growing list for your return in September.

These two headstone images are required for the Roll of Honour of the town of Newton Abbot in South Devon,

Pte. T.H. Tapley, Durham Light Infantry, Plot VI, Grave J9.

Pte. W.J. Clatworthy, Somerset light Infantry, Plot VIII, Grave K2.

Thanking you.

John Ellis

Fritz, Good Evening.

Can I please add two more requests for the growing list for your return in September.

These two headstone images are required for the Roll of Honour of the town of Newton Abbot in South Devon,

Pte. T.H. Tapley, Durham Light Infantry, Plot VI, Grave J9.

Thanking you.

John Ellis

W.J. Clatworthy again

Good evening Fritz

I reckon you now think of me as old and fat. (oldest tourist - I ask you!!) My day at school does not make me feel like a tourist and I try not to eat too much. Could do with the odd kilo going but not too bad. Being small I cannot afford to be fat - look like a dumpling then.

These are some hours you are putting in getting all these photos to folk! You deserve a medal. I'll leave you alone to get on with it. :P

Jim

Good Evening Fritz.

Many thanks for the images of the headstones of the two Newtonians you posted up tonight. Your efforts are really appreciated and will assist to ensure the 'we will remember them'.

Once again thank you.

John Ellis

Hello Yvan,

well down, I enjoy this panoramic view very much.

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz, Many thanks for the photo of Private W.C Page's Grave.

William Cecil Page-Nicht Vergessen !.

Andy.