Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Bolland

tanks3

Hi all,

I am researching the above named who received a GSW to the head on the 1.11.16 and who subsequently died of his wounds.

With your help I an try to find out what his battalion were doing on the day he received his wounds. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tanks3

Hello Tanks3,

On the 1.11.16, the War Diary states one man killed, quiet day. Work continued all day and most of the night. C and D Coys relieved A and B Coys. Quiet night. Rain at night.

On the 2.11.16 states one man killed. Some trench mortars fell near South of Roberts Ave in front line about 11.35. Four casualties. He was probably one of these if he died of wounds some time later !

In short, they were working on improving the trench system.

This is a fairly typical entry in the War Diary most of the time. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Hello Ironduke and Mhifle,

Yes that's his MIC - I got a copy from Ancestry but thanks for posting it. Thanks, Ironduke for the info - just what I was looking for. Where abouts were the 1/7th West Riding Regt at this time?

Tanks3

Hello Tanks3 ,

The 1/7th West Riding Regt were in the vicinity of FONQUEVILLERS at this time. Do you have any other information about him ? I'm collecting information about the Battalion with a view to a writing a book about their experiences.

Regards

Ron

Ironduke,

Thanks for the further info. I am in my early stages as far as research on this man is concerned. His service papers (burnt records) are on ancestry. I know he came from a little village just outside Boston Lincolnshire, called Benington and he is on the local war memorial in the church there. He is buried in the local churchyard and I think died of his wounds in England.

Thanks again

Tanks3

Hello Tanks3,

Thanks for the information regarding his service papers (burnt records) being on Ancestry. I'll download them. If he is buried in the local churchyard it is highly likely that he died of his wounds in England, particularly if you consider the length of time from being wounded to death. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ron