Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8468 Pte. Daniel Fellowes, 1st. Bn. Scots Guards

verdun

I have been researching this Old Contemptible casualty for a friend. He died on 2nd November 1914 and his name is listed on the Menin Gate, having no known grave.

I had therefore assumed that he was KIA in the fighting around Gheluvelt. However, his MIC card states that he "died whilst P of W."

I am now assuming that he must have been taken prisoner shortly before his death, otherwise he would have been transferred back to a German POW camp. The fact that he has no grave might suggest that he was taken prisoner whilst wounded and subsequently died, to be left unburied. Or, perhaps he and his captors were hit by artillery fire?

Any better theories, or does anyone have more information - maybe even the War Diary itself??? Many thanks, Peter

Ive a similar with the Coldstream Gds - I assumed that his grave was "lost" during the course of the war and thats why he is on a memorial

By "lost" - I presume that when he died the Germans buried him somewhere . Shell fire etc could have destroyed the grave and its marker so it became "lost"