Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Switch Line - what was it ?

RodB

Can one of you experts tell me what a switch line, or sometimes simply switch, was ? Seems to have been a type of trench, but what sort ?

thanks

Rod

I always thought that it was a trench that, by going in a different direction from the first or second line of defence, allowed for enfilade fire.

Term applied to German trenches.

Guest Steve Seaman

This question appeared in the WFA (South Wales Branch) Christmas quiz.04

If you saw the words 'Switch Line' on a British WW1 military map, what would they mean?

A. Railway siding B. Interface of two armies C. German trench line D. Line of white tapes indicating a change in the line of advance

The answer was C. German trench line.

one of many that I got wrong.

There is a thread on this quiz

regards

Steve

Yes, but not all German trenches are called 'Switch' :rolleyes:

I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than I will tell me the correct answer.

I am particularly interested in the Switch Trench at High Wood, Somme.

I’ve also wondered about the term switch line. When I first read “The Hell They Called High Wood” I thought it was just the name of a particular trench but I’ve seen it used other places sense then. I hope someone comes up with "the" answer.

I think I have it.

I posted a question 'what is the meaning of the switch line trench' on http://www.askjeeves.co.uk and got quite a long essay on defensive tactics which included the following:

Distribution in depth adoption of loose formation rather than linear formations leading to an active defence. The infantryman could move in any direction provided he counterthrust. The tactical unit became the squad of 8 men. NCOs became very important

The aim is to make the attacker fight to a standstill and use up his men. The defence relies not on men but on armament, artillery, trench mortars, machine guns. Ground can be abandoned ground must be favourable whilst attackers are left on unfavourable ground. Distribution in depth forms the basis of all preparations. Initiative is very important

Three zones. Forward a zone lightly held- protected against surprise 400-100m deep. Held by a half company on regimental front.

Then the battle zone independent of forward zone sole criterion suitability for defence. They could coincide but normally behind1500-2500m deep Held by two battalion of each regiment. Rearward combat zone at least 3000 m behind battle zone held bya reserve battalion of regiment.

Frontages were wide. Division 2500-3250m each regiment 1000m. 1 soldier per 50m square

Each zone had trenches irregularly placed 150- 400m apart, numerous strong points and rallying points linked by further trenches and diagonal switch line were to be dug to surround the enemy in front and flank by fire trenches and obstacles well hidden machine guns and trench mortars. Front garrisons could move within limits avoiding areas of intense artillery fire trying to advance where possible. Everything to be difficult to see and reverse slopes where possible. Initiative from commanders in the counter thrust was required. If necessary there could be counter attackers by the general reserve. Counterthrusts led by assault troops with lots of fire support cooperation of all arms. Divisional Commander in charge and continuity through Corps HQ. Particular importance placed on training NCOs, machine gunners, signallers, engineers and gunners schooled from divisional commanders and staffs.

Source http://www.imperialservices.org.uk

A switch line was a trench that connected two trenches that ran in parallel to the front line. They were created in locations where the enemy might or did overrun a trench system, thereby exposing the flanks. The switch line would then act as a frontline trench protecting the flanks. The British used switch lines, for example in Operation Michael. See attached image for illustration. I think the term may come from switching lines in railways??

post-4-1076613378.jpg

Robert

How does that explain the so-called switch trench (partially constructed) at High Wood which runs from south of Martinpuich, crosses the north eastern corner of High Wood and then runs on north of Delville Wood and south of Flers?

I wonder if it was misnamed.

If you look at how the Switch Line came into play, the British attacks into High Wood were being launched from the Bazentin Ridge. The left hand end (below Martinpuich) took the Aussies in the flank near Pozieres, then hooked north-east to enable the Germans to take the British attacks on High Wood in enfilade. The extension of the Switch Line past High Wood south of Flers is in parallel with the British lines running Bazentin le Grand to Longueval. When the Switch Line was created, the Germans had no rear trenches to speak of so my diagram would not have applied - they created the parallel trench line in response to the previous successful attack on Bazentin Ridge and the near break-through at High Wood.