Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George LEA Regt 8413

Smithy F066

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather's movements during the Great War. His name was Private George LEA Regt number 8413. He was formally a docker and from his medal card I know he served in France.

Can anyone help me to find out what battalion he was with and what his movements would have been. His older brother Robert was in the same battalion, however he changed his surname to LEE so they could serve together.

Many thanks Andy (ex-pat scouse now living in New Zealand)

Andy,

He served with the 1st Bn enlisting in Feb 1903 and was probably on the reserve when he was called up. As you know he crossed to France 30/11/14. That is all I have.

What other information do you have about him and his brother (do you have the latter's number?

Promenade

1st Btn initially went 13th August 1914

Thank you very much.

His brother Robert was injuried in France and he lost the sight in one eye. according to my aunty he remained in the army after his injury, however not with the Kings.

He may have been with the Labour Corp, but I have no way of knowing.

Andy.

Andy

His brother could (repeat could) be Private Robert Lee No 11880 who served with 1 KLR. He enlisted 23/3/14 and crossed to France on 9/2/15. He was discharged from the army owing to wounds on 18/12/15. I have no other information on him.

Promenade

Many thanks.

I have made further enquires with my mother and she has located a photograph of George in Uniform. I will pass on this information about my Grand-uncle to see if it rings any bells with the wider family.

Thanks again

Andy.

The MIC card for your Lea is on Ancestry but inspite of trying am having trouble uploading at the moment-its a lovely clear card with same number as you quote so hope someone else has better luck getting you a copy.

Hi Caroline

I am somewhat new to this. What is "Ancestry".

Regards

Andy

post-16321-1210107936.jpg

Andy

I have managed to download MIC card for you.

I thought I was the only "new one" here.

I thought to help you as I recently enquired about two soldiers from the Kings Liverpool and received very helpful advice from this forum so thought to repay in small way.

Ancestry is a site for looking up relatives-family tree. It has copies of Census returns and is at present up loading copies of The medal records from first world war and what are called the "Burnt " Record from Kew which are all that are left of the service records after the second world war damage.To look up the index on Ancestry is free but you will need to subscribe for any actual details. I would recommend their medal card copies as if available on their site the image is much superior to the National Archives site I downloaded from there and was unable to make head or tail of the result!

I was told that this could become addictive and since more records have become available just this last week on ancestry for my Foden brothers I am working my way through the info with the help of this site...I am somewhat overwhelmed as my Grandfather was one of six who went to the War.....3 dead ...one injured and he was one of the two lucky ones to return.As I have just found he was in France from 08/11/1914 he was lucky indeed.

Hope card is a help

Caroline

Thank you so very much Caroline. It truly is a journey of discovery.

The Medal card is excellent and has opened up another line of enquiry for me.

Regards

Andy.