Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with smle rear sights

Guest tony2

i have just brought a bsa smle and i need help with the rear sight i would like to know how you adjust the the sight so you can shoot targets at ranges of 25 yards and 50 yards .

thanks tony

Tony,at 25 yds you shoot on open sights,lowest setting & test & adjust as per normal.

You will soon find which part of the sight is true for short distances (ie bottomof 'V' against top or bottom of 'I' ) if you have someone spotting for you.

If its not sighted yet,you need to shoot from at least 100 yds & work from there.

The further the better,really.

Dave.

Tony,at 25 yds you shoot on open sights,lowest setting & test & adjust as per normal.

You will soon find which part of the sight is true for short distances (ie bottomof 'V' against top or bottom of 'I' ) if you have someone spotting for you.

If its not sighted yet,you need to shoot from at least 100 yds & work from there.

The further the better,really.

Dave.

I dunno about your eyes, but sitting the foresight in the bottom of the rearsight notch is a real trial for mine. You can often buy sets of SMLE foresights on the Bay for a reasonable price. Providing you've the tools to swap 'em you should be able to find one that comes within filing range of level at the top of the notch with the rearsight leaf right down at 100 yards or less. You can treat the trajectory as pretty well flat between 25 and 100 - only rises half an inch or less and the usual group size'll be a good deal more than that unless you've an exceptional example and exceptional eyesight.

Regards,

MikB

I must admit that I take my eyesight for granted but its been a long time since Ive fired on the 25 m range,I hate it!

100m minimum but I would love to try a volley sight somewhere for a laugh but getting NASA to spot for me would only be mildly easier to acheive than getting a target big enough to see the finished (ahem...)'grouping'!!! :D

Dave.

I would love to try a volley sight somewhere for a laugh but getting NASA to spot for me would only be mildly easier to acheive than getting a target big enough to see the finished (ahem...)'grouping'!!! :D

Dave.

Hey, don't start me off on that one again! I think volley sights were an exercise in imaginative fiction, requiring a precision of manufacture, installation and use way above the capabilities of that or any other time to achieve their intended purpose. They were dropped for the good and sufficient reason that they were NBG.

I think there were some trials in the early 20thC agains vast canvas screens erected to represent cavalry and infantry at various long ranges. I believe the results were indeterminate an unconvincing to say the least, but have not succeeded in re-finding the evidence...

Regards,

MikB