Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please!

ahaenga

I am trying to trace my great uncle William Malcolm who left NZ around 1913 and was not heard of again.

The attached photo is not the best as it was a photocopy of a photo.

The original photo had on the back William Malcolm - Randalstown c/- Antrism Ireland

Is this a uniform of the RIC or is it of the british army or NZ army?

Any help to identify this uniform would be really appreciated.

Thanking you

Anne

post-34205-1209725043.jpg

Looks like British Army Service Dress.

Looks like British Army Service Dress.

Thank you, this is a great start. I was told he was in the army but did not find any records for NZ army and as the local NZ news papers said he was demobolised in England he must have been in the British Army.

I am trying to trace my great uncle William Malcolm who left NZ around 1913 and was not heard of again.

The attached photo is not the best as it was a photocopy of a photo.

The original photo had on the back William Malcolm - Randalstown c/- Antrism Ireland

Is this a uniform of the RIC or is it of the british army or NZ army?

Any help to identify this uniform would be really appreciated.

Thanking you

Anne

Anne, he is wearing a British Army pattern Service Dress (SD) uniform as squirrel said. He also has a good conduct badge on his left forearm (for 2 years) in the form of an inverted chevron. He is also wearing a 'slade wallace pattern' waist belt and carrying a swagger cane for 'walking out'. He also appers to have a badge on his right forearm which might indicate a badge of rank of warrant officer, although the photo is too small to be sure.

He wouldn't be wearing a Good Coduct badge if he were a CSM. Only worn by Privates and Lance Corporals IIRC.

Hi,I don't know if this is your man ,

but there is only one that fits the bill on the national archives medal roll and that is;

Medal card of Malcom, William G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Labour Corps Eastern Command ex Essex Regiment 67136 32416 Private .

Could this be your man?

Regards,Paul.

Anne,

My guess is Royal Engineers - I think that is his cap badge, and I had already wondered (from your other thread) that being a bridge builder the RE would have been the regiment to exploit his experience.

Looking at the MICs he could be one of:

Medal card of Malcolm, William H

Corps: Royal Engineers

Regiment No: 135254

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Medal card of Malcolm, William Barrie

Regiment No: 282547

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Medal card of Malcolm, William A S

Regiment No: 71776

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Medal card of Malcolm, William

Regiment No: 53233

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: WR/600249

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 189024

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 57876

1914-1920 WO 372/13

But if he did not serve overseas (ie. in a theatre of war) he might not have received the usual campaign medals.

You could try for the army service records for the above - you might be lucky.

Ian

Anne

If you take a look at the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland ) website you'll be able to see some RIC uniforms.

Good hunting.

Evelyn

Hi anne,

.....hope the following is of use to you as i live in Antrim. The long gone (and forgotten) randlestown camp was built on the Shanes Castle estate which is still in the hands of the O'Neill family. The estate runs from antrim to randlestown. In randlestown itself, there was a militia barracks/RIC barracks, but this is now along the lines of a restaurant or something (as of this month & year), whilst a few years back the barracks was a car showroom!

The O'Neill estate is on private property, and is open to the public occasionally, but i can tell you that the camp was constructed from wood, being 'duration only'. There are photos of the camp on the internet, and have seen some on ebay, but you have to search for them. There may be records at the National Archives on the camp, as well as the records at the Imperial War Museum & National Army Museum. You could also try the Royal Engineers museum to see if they have any info, etc, on the camp. Another source to try is the Public Records Office (PRONI) here in N.Ireland, which is on the outskirts of Belfast.

tim

Anne,

My guess is Royal Engineers - I think that is his cap badge, and I had already wondered (from your other thread) that being a bridge builder the RE would have been the regiment to exploit his experience.

Looking at the MICs he could be one of:

Medal card of Malcolm, William H

Regiment No: 135254

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Medal card of Malcolm, William Barrie

Regiment No: 282547

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Medal card of Malcolm, William A S

Regiment No: 71776

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 53233

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: WR/600249

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 189024

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 57876

1914-1920 WO 372/13

But if he did not serve overseas (ie. in a theatre of war) he might not have received the usual campaign medals.

You could try for the army service records for the above - you might be lucky.

Ian

Thank you Ian, I will start looking for at RE. From 1903 to 1908 - his occupation in the telephone books is carpenter, but from 1910 to 1913 he is listed as a bridge builder

Regards

Anne

Hi anne,

.....hope the following is of use to you as i live in Antrim. The long gone (and forgotten) randlestown camp was built on the Shanes Castle estate which is still in the hands of the O'Neill family. The estate runs from antrim to randlestown. In randlestown itself, there was a militia barracks/RIC barracks, but this is now along the lines of a restaurant or something (as of this month & year), whilst a few years back the barracks was a car showroom!

The O'Neill estate is on private property, and is open to the public occasionally, but i can tell you that the camp was constructed from wood, being 'duration only'. There are photos of the camp on the internet, and have seen some on ebay, but you have to search for them. There may be records at the National Archives on the camp, as well as the records at the Imperial War Museum & National Army Museum. You could also try the Royal Engineers museum to see if they have any info, etc, on the camp. Another source to try is the Public Records Office (PRONI) here in N.Ireland, which is on the outskirts of Belfast.

tim

Thank you Tim, yes it adds a bit of history to where William was located.

Anne

If you take a look at the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland ) website you'll be able to see some RIC uniforms.

Good hunting.

Evelyn

Thanks Evelyn - will do

Anne