Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hussars

neala

Hi all,

Does anyone know where the training establishment for 15th (the Kings) Hussars was during the great war?? Was it Aldershot?

Is there anyone else out there with a specific interest in the 15 (the Kings) Hussars?

Regards,

Neal.

Neal

The 14th Reserve Cavalry Regiment supplied the 15th Hussars with its men, and for the 92th Hussars as well. It was formed in August 1914 at Longmoor, near Liss in Hampshire and moved to Ireland in autumn 1916. Early in 1917 it was obsorbed by the 3rd Reserve Casvalry Regiment at Aldershot.

Charles M

Neal

The 14th Reserve Cavalry Regiment supplied the 15th Hussars with its men, and for the 92th Hussars as well. It was formed in August 1914 at Longmoor, near Liss in Hampshire and moved to Ireland in autumn 1916. Early in 1917 it was obsorbed by the 3rd Reserve Casvalry Regiment at Aldershot.

Charles M

Hi, thanks for the info. do you know much about the training? How long, what was involved?

I am trying to piece together the service of one of my relatives, Douglas Aplin who served with the 15th (the kings) Hussars an was kia @ the battle of cambrai (bourlon wood) in 1917.

Cheers, Neal.

Neal. A bit of info (you may already have it) his MIC is on Ancestry, he went to France 8th June 1915 and was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, War Medal and the Victory Medal. Ralph.

Neal

First, apologies for some very slipshod tpying in my previous post - 92nd Huissars should resad 19th Hussars! I am not sure of the precise length of training, but it was certainly more than the infantry's 14 weeks, since the cavalry recruit had to learn both to ride and look after his horse in addition to the normal basic training. Douglas Aplin was probably lucky to be posted to the 15th Hussars when he was, since in May 1915 orders went out for a considerable number of men with the Reserve Cavarly regiments to be transferred to the infantry.

Charles M

Neal

I would recommend reading 'The History of the 15th The King's Hussars 1914-1922' published by Naval and Military Press ISBN 9781843425373. Your relative is mentioned in the appendix - 11537 L/Cpl Aplin, D. KIA 25/11/17 Bourlon Wood. There are good accounts throughout of all their actions and certainly a few pages on the fighting at Bourlon Wood. it should give you a good idea of what your relative went through.

regards

Ian