Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

dumelow

Hi to All,

Can someone answer a query for me please.

My grandfathers regiment no. was 296 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Approximately what year would he have signed up.

Also was there a set number of years to enrol for.

The reason being he was dischaged in November 1914 no reason given on Medal Roll.

I have since found he joined the RAF, again not sure at the moment of date of entry.

Thanking you in advance.

Dave D

Dave

He was a pre-war Regular and served in the 1st Bn, The Royal Warwicks. As you can see by his MIC below he went to France on the 22 August 1914 as part of the 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division. Sorry cannot help with the date he enlisted though.

post-66-1209729750.jpg

Based on Terry's info above he is therefore a regular in the 1st Bn at the outbreak of the war and had joined from a short period of time to many years before 1914. His year of birth might help here. Or he had done his regular service and was a reservist mobilised from civvy life to rejoin his old battalion. The low service number suggests he had been around for quite some time.

Example 205 was a 35 year old reservist when the war broke out. Other numbers arounf the 200s were not.

Hi Again,

Thanks Terry and Alan. The reason I was trying to find when he may have enlisted, it is because I believe he may have lied about his age. His marriage and subsequent enlistment in the RAF his age does not tie up. Also why would he have been discharged 3 months into a war. Was there a time limit soldiers signed up for in those days and if so do you know how long they were.

Once again thanks for your input.

Dave D

The discharge may have been because his period on the reserve had officially ended so he had the right to leave. However, he may possibly have re-joined immediately.