Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guiilemont Trench Map request - August 20 1916

Ysolde

Hello all,

I'm trying to pinpoint the location where my Great Uncle, Cpt Douglas William Lane-Nichols MC, was killed while serving with the Queen's Royal West Surrey's, 8th Bn. on August 20th 1916.

We have a copy of the War Diary for the dates around his death, and it mentions where his company was sent as follows:

The 8th QUEENS Regt relieved the 8th R.W. KENT Regt in the left trenches.

Relief complete at 1am.

DISPOSITION - D Coy held the trench just W. of the QUARRY, captured and consolidated by the 73rd I. B. on the 19th inst.

A Coy & C Coy} KNOTT TRENCH

B Coy - Sent out patrols into the area bounded by BROMPTON ROAD on the N, HILL St on the E, and MOUNT St on the S with the object of establishing posts at T19 C 2. 8 1/2, T19 C. 6. 3 1/2, T19 C. 4. 6. (GINCHY AND GUILLEMONT). The patrols had orders not to engage with the enemy.

Temp. Captain (2nd Lt.) D. W. LANE-NICHOLS was killed while leading one of these patrols. The enemy was found to be holding the HILL ST line, so the patrols could not establish posts.............

I know BROMPTON ROAD refers to the Guillemont - Ginchy Road (Rue de Ginchy), but I'm not sure of the HILL ST & MOUNT ST references. If anyone has a map with these trench coordinates (above), I would be very grateful.

My husband and I will be visiting Douglas's memorial at Thiepval, and Guillemont in June, so we'd like to get to the place where he was killed (or at least close) as his body was never recovered.

Thanks in advance,

Ysolde Nichols

post-2398-1209688772.jpg

This may help to some degree ,although of July, 16, I'm sure other members will have more info. & maps.

Cheers.

Colin

From the 13th Essex diary. May be of some use.

Glyn

post-5500-1209749960.jpg

Hi

This should help with Mount Street and Brompton road, I can't find Hill Street though.

I have marked the two locations for posts with blue dots.

Map is from 'LinesMan' and is edition 3A dated 290916 Longueval

Hope it helps you

Guy

post-12226-1209750684.jpg

I would concur with Guy, I suggest Hill St. may well be the road continuing from High Holburn down across Mount St. & to Down St. the references you gave would fit, if Guy says so, that's enough for anyone.

Colin

Thank you everyone.

As has been said, it appears that Hill St is the continuation of High Holburn.

So I've narrowed the area down. This will help us to see the area where he was killed, as his body was never recovered.

However, are the references (T19 C. 2 . 8 1/2, T19 C. 6. 3 1/2 AND T19 C. 4. 6 (GINCHY and GUILLEMONT)) grid references on the "Longueval" map? If so, does T19 refer to the "19" on the map above, and are the numbers axis references?

Thanks in advance,

Ysolde.

Thank you everyone.

As has been said, it appears that Hill St is the continuation of High Holburn.

So I've narrowed the area down. This will help us to see the area where he was killed, as his body was never recovered.

However, are the references (T19 C. 2 . 8 1/2, T19 C. 6. 3 1/2 AND T19 C. 4. 6 (GINCHY and GUILLEMONT)) grid references on the "Longueval" map? If so, does T19 refer to the "19" on the map above, and are the numbers axis references?

Thanks in advance,

Ysolde.

T19 refer to the "19" on the map above, and are the numbers axis references?

Yes

T19 is the square. A would be the top left quarter, B top right, C (as in this case) is bottom left, D Bottom Right.

Divide each A or B or C etc into 10, and these are you refs 4.6 4 being x co ord, and 6 being y co ord.

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for that. It makes sense now.

I don't suppose anyone has any information on the "KNOTT TRENCH" at Guillemont on or around 20.8.1916?

Regards,

Ysolde.

If you look at the map above, post 2, Knot trench runs almost due North from Arrow -Head Copse, running almost parallel with New Trench.

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for that. Now that you've pointed it out, I can read the small print. :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for your assistance. We look forward to being very close to where Douglas was killed, and paying our respects to him where his remains remain and make up part of the landscape, along with so many other brave souls.

Regards,

Ysolde.