Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Alfred Howard

Tommy

hi there

i'm looking for any information on Ernest Alfred Howard, I believe him to have been a Pte in the East Surrey Regiment, he was only 18 when he was killed in 1918. He was born in Buntingford and his parents were Ernest and Mercy Howard. Any information about him would be very helpful! plus any info about how i would go about tracing his medals and death plaque as well. He had brothers in the first world war Richard Saunders Howard who was wounded, Victor Howard and Frederick George Howard is there anyway I can find ou info about these men if they were not killed during the war??

regards

Tom

Hi,

I presume you mean:

Name: HOWARD

Initials: E A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 24/09/1918

Service No: 39490

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 5.

Cemetery: METZ-EN-COUTURE COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION

Source: http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=315216

I suggest you read Grandad's war section of the parent site to this forum, and then come back and post here if you want anymore details. The same applies for his brothers. wou could try www.medal.net and place an add with the medal finder to try and trace the medals. Incidently, Buntingford is not a great distance from where I live and I know there is a war memorial there so you may want to see if he is listed. A local church may also have a book of rememberance.

Hope this helps,

Alex.