Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards

JonHughes

Bit of a long shot, but about 6 years ago when I was in school and studying extension history, part of my studies involved choosing an old boy from my school who had served in World War 1. Im trying to track down this chap I did research on and have been trying to scoure my mind for any information, but in my hour of need I think some of you guys might be able to help me limit down the numbers of units he could of been in. My hope is to possibly find him from a list of name's.

All I can remember was that he enlisted with the Coldstream Guards.

I do not know where he fought but he spent a big part of his service in Russia.

He survived the war returning to Australia. I'm pretty sure he travelled to England to enlist.

Any idea's guys, because I just keep drawing up blanks....

the coldstream didnt go to Russia - but I know odd men and officers did

One was was from Australia - Heney his name was....

what school was it ? Heney was at King's School. He fits the criteria you state so fingers crossed - but only spent some time in Russia that Im AWARE of

thought it was too much of a coincidence - Ive loads of stuff on him

V interested in the Russian bit

longs shots sometimes work !!

Very much indeed,

I'm going to see if I can goto my schools museum where they have alot of his letters there, espeacially one's sent from Russia, I'll keep you posted on my enquiries.

Jon

John Henry Waldo Heney went to France in August 1918. He was won the Military Cross in 1918 in the London Gazette on the 2nd April 1919 and the citation on the 10th December 1919.

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty near Villers Pol on 4th November 1918. He took charge of two sections at the commencement on the attack and cleared the whole right flank of some half dozen machine guns which were infilading it. He killed several himself, and with his handful of men collected over a hundred prisoners. After the attack he and a few others beat off a counter attack on the right flank”.

Gazetted 14th December 1917 from Artists Rifles # 765708

He died 8/9/1989 he was 90 as he was born 28/6/1899

post-3871-1209579528.jpg

Absolutely amazing to think that where he went to school, where he went to chapel and where he slept and grew up was the same place I spent my younger years too. ALot of the buildings such as the chapel are still original from the 1800's. Could of sat in the same place.

you never know