Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Household Cavalry rank: Frogsmile come in please

Muerrisch

Last nights 'Waking the Dead' featured what I took to be a Household Cavalry ['Guards', they said] NCO with three chevrons, referred to as Corporal.

But do not Lance-Corporals of Horse wear the small crown over chevrons? ...... the NCO was in woolly pully rig. And Corporals of Horse the large crown or the gilt crown?

I watched the programme with incredulity - my family had to calm me down, reminding me that it was a drama and that any link to real life was purely circumstantial (if not a fluke) - just like Judge John Deed.

I suggest that we form a thread which identifies what other "military" errors were made in this prime time drama.

My starters for 10 are:

The landrover which bursts into flames ; presumably because it was meant to be fueled by petrol (all MOD variants are

diesel).

The dismounted patrol commander who allows four men to within 10 feet of each other in a market.

The "sniper" who used a silenced rifle to kill a witness - the cartridage was ejected to the right (towards the rear of the car) and yet it is was found behind the dashbook lodged in some electrics.

Stephen

(I would not care to comment on the legal errors but it seems that Ediie Shoestring and his gang seem to totally ignorant of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act; nor to follow basic custody procedures by iocking up a man wearing a tie).

BBC Drama - Broadcasting B*ll*cks Continuously

A corporal [?] saluting indoors with no cap. A lt-col returning salutes with his stick [mind you he realised the error and later did away with himself]

D

And another thing! Why oh why can't they get actors to wear their headress properly and get the right size?

All too big presumably so they can put them on the backs of their heads and we can see their faces.

GRUMPY - still awaiting a reply reference Household Cavalry Ranks, Appointments and Insignia in WW1 from the Household Cavalry Museum. Wrote in January last year and have followed up twice since. Wonder if anybody can chivie them along?

A corporal [?] saluting indoors with no cap. A lt-col returning salutes with his stick [mind you he realised the error and later did away with himself]

D

I believe Blues and Royals have a tradition of saluting without head dress.

I have heard that too, but not seen it. And it is not unknown for an officer to acknowledge a salute, when carrying a riding crop, by touching the peak of the cap.

However...... wearing a sam browne at a desk - most odd.

Normal routine is to remove headress and leather on entering an office.

I wonder where they got the extras from.. some looked almost military

Hello Gents,

In the clothing you describe the badges of rank for the Household Cavalry in the 1990s were (doubt they have changed);

Trooper - nothing'

Lance Corporal - Two chevrons with gilt / brass crown above, worn on the upper arm.

Lance Corporal of Horse - Three chevrons with cloth crown above, worn on the upper arm.

Corporal of Horse - Three chevrons with gilt / brass crown above, worn on the upper arm.

Staff Corporal - Four inverted chevrons with gilt / brass crown above,worn on the forearm.

Squadron Corporal Major - The usual type of WOII Crown, worn at the wrist.

Regimental Corproal Major - The Royal Arms, worn at the wrist.

The first three badges would normally be worn on a brassard made from cloth similar in appearance to the trousers worn i.e. if in lightweight trousers the cloth would be an olive drab, and if in barrack dress the cloth would be the same shade.

To address the point of returning compliments, when I was a REME Apprentice at Arborfield the 2i/c of my Company (Delta Battery, on account of the OC being a Gunner Major) was a Blues and Royals (RHG/D) LE Captain, who was one of the very last serving pre-amalgamation Blues. He was a very nice chap and would return our salutes with a tap of his crop on his cap's peak. Never saw him salute or return a salute sans chapeau though. "Hello there" was about all that happened then. He was however so laid back that I might have been well on my way before he began the movement!

The Life Guards like passengers in vehicles to salute when passing officers. Not easy in a left hand drive, and not safe in a right hand drive - far better to duck and hide.

Next we have the Land Rover issue, I clearly remember playing a trick on a very cocky Vehicle Mechanic in my unit by testing his diagnostic skills the limit. We had a petrol Landrover and the fuel tanks were under the two front seats. There was a valve which could be moved from one side to the other to change which tank the fuel was drawn from. If the valve was carefully moved to a central position the engine would be starved of petrol and would splutter to a stop. Definitely petrol - red filler cap as opposed to a yellow one for diesel.

Hope this helps, but dramas portraying subject matter in which we have an interest and some knowledge are bound to disappoint. Anyone remember the first series of "Soldier Soldier"?

American helmets and Doc Martens boots!

Nuff Sed,

Cheers,

Nigel