Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer's pips WW1 or WW2?

dutchbarge

Could well be.

Sounds like an excuse to me. In those less politically correct days he would have had a batman or could even have asked a nurse to sew it on during night duty.

No offence is meant. You must believe what you want to believe. Why don't you contact the Middx Regt part of the PWRR regimental museum and see what they say about your theory?

Its not a matter of belief as such, but a rather a theory based on verbal evidence - not quite the same thing.

The Middlesex collection was at Canterbury at one time (where I last saw it) but then it was transferred to the Nation Army Museum. The Middlesex was certainly the poor relation when it came to protecting its heritage.

Its not a matter of belief as such, but a rather a theory based on verbal evidence - not quite the same thing.

The Middlesex collection was at Canterbury at one time (where I last saw it) but then it was transferred to the Nation Army Museum. The Middlesex was certainly the poor relation when it came to protecting its heritage.

If it is true such a change is likely to have been recorded in regimental history. Also bear in mind where they might have seen the Eversleigh star beforehand, which had nothing to do with the Guards. As far as I know the only regiment to wear them previously was the SWB, officially since the 1890s until permission eventually granted not long before the Middx began to wear them.

I have a copy of the Regimental History between the wars and it makes no mention of the adoption of the Eversleigh Star. I'll take a look at it (when I get time) to see if I can find any mention of it at all.

On 22/04/2015 at 10:46, Beerhunter said:

I have a copy of the Regimental History between the wars and it makes no mention of the adoption of the Eversleigh Star. I'll take a look at it (when I get time) to see if I can find any mention of it at all.

Details are contained in the British Military Historical Society 'Bulletin'. If you google - 'Eversleigh Stars - Middlesex Regiment', the paragraph and section details and relevant issue of the Bulletin appear on the first page.  There is mention of your story in the article, see extracts below.

Middx Regt 1.jpg

Middx Regt 2.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE