Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frank Keeling 11365 2nd battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers

haynean

Can anyone advise me of how to find the date of my grandfather's enlistment, in the absence of his service record? He was born 2nd July 1893 in Wolverhampton and was a regular soldier in 1914. I understand that some details were contained in Muster Rolls/Paylists and in 'Regimental Description/Succession' books held by TNA but I have been unable to find anything online for the relevant period. Can anyone help?

Andy.

Enlistment dates didn't always go in sequence, but:

11347 Christopher Francis Derham enlisted 8-8-1912

11368 Joseph Dodd enlisted 15-8-1912 (under-age, discharged)

So possibly in the August 1912 timeframe?

Steve.

Andy,

Steve has got the general time frame for your grandfathers enlistment about right, towards the second half of 1912, In the absence of his papers or any other documents relating to him I am afraid you cannot be exactly sure as to when and where he enlisted. For your own information your grandfather was with the 2nd Battalion of the RDF and was with the first batch of the RDF to go to France during the First World War he was more than likely taken POW during the surrender of Lieutenant Colonel Mainwaring, see the book Dishonoured for more information. Best of luck with you research.

Conor

Was he a relation of 10559 Sgt Henry Keeling, 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, also a POW? or is Keeling a relatively common name?

post-6480-1209622075.jpg

Just for the record, here's his MIC.

Hello JRN,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply and copy his MIC. I have been researching Frank Keeling's army service for some time now and am interested in any connections or others who may be doing similar work. I am therefore curious to know how you came by his MIC as I know this information is normally only available from TNA at a cost. Also, I am interested to know who are the 'old sweats' group? For the record I am based in Stafford.

Thanks,

Andy.

Enlistment dates didn't always go in sequence, but:

11347 Christopher Francis Derham enlisted 8-8-1912

11368 Joseph Dodd enlisted 15-8-1912 (under-age, discharged)

So possibly in the August 1912 timeframe?

Steve.

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for replying to my enquiry. This is just what I was looking for. Could I ask where you came by this information, as I am also interested in Frank's elder brother, Sgt. H. Keeling 10559?

Thanks again,

Andy.

Andy,

Steve has got the general time frame for your grandfathers enlistment about right, towards the second half of 1912, In the absence of his papers or any other documents relating to him I am afraid you cannot be exactly sure as to when and where he enlisted. For your own information your grandfather was with the 2nd Battalion of the RDF and was with the first batch of the RDF to go to France during the First World War he was more than likely taken POW during the surrender of Lieutenant Colonel Mainwaring, see the book Dishonoured for more information. Best of luck with you research.

Conor

Dear Conor,

Thank you for your reply. I have ascertained that he was taken prisoner at Ligny on 27th August 1914 and have read the accounts of this engagement in Scott's book and also the book about the 2nd R.D. Fusiliers by Wyllly. I would be interested to know who the 'old sweats' are in case there are any relevant connections or other sources of information they may have?

Thanks again,

Andy.

Was he a relation of 10559 Sgt Henry Keeling, 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, also a POW? or is Keeling a relatively common name?

Hello,

Thanks for your speedy reply. The answer is yes, Frank Keeling's elder brother Henry (Harry) Keeling was a sergeant in the 2nd R.D.F. and we know he was also a POW who appears to have been interned in Holland at some point during the war. We know very little more about him. I was therefore intrigued to receive your information and the image of part of what appears to be a postcard sent to him at Soltau POW camp. Is there any more than the address that appears in your image? May I ask how you came by this information and whether you have any more relating to him?

Many thanks for your information. It was much appreciated.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy,

The website Ancestry.co.uk (a subscription website) has about 2/3rds of the Medal Index Cards now online, and also some of the surviving service records (only 30% of records survived the Blitz and of those most of surnames A-H are online, along with the smaller "Pension" series of which A-Z are online).

By using the available service records and a dab of experience we can usually estimate dates of enlistment (or at least when the man joined a certain Regiment).

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Have you seen my reply posted on 3rd May? I am keen to find out any further information you may have in relation to this postcard as it certainly does refer to Frank Keeling's brother, who I believe was interned in Holland for part of the war. I would be most grateful for any further information you can provide.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy,

I have just seen this. Posts move down the pecking order so quickly that it is not always easy to follow them. You should have sent me a PM.

In answer to your question, I have a whole series of postcards sent by Harry Keeling to his fiance, (later wife), Ada Walton, of 39, Peppercroft Street, Gravesend, Kent, dating from August 1913 when his battalion was stationed in Folkestone and her postcards sent to him as a PoW. There are about 20 postcards in total and judging from the addresses, Harry was a PoW at Senne 2, Sennelager near Paderborn as well as Minden in Westphalia and Soltau in Hannover.

I hope that this helps.

Simon.