Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

royal field artillery

les 1RHA

Hello, has anyone heard of, or know anything about, the Brighouse Battery, as far as i know it was a TF battery formed in Brighouse yorkshire, and served in France/Flanders, here's hoping.

Regards Les

Les

Not found Brighouse

1st West Riding Leeds

2nd Bramley

3rd Leeds

4th Bradford

5th Halifax

6th Heckmondwike

7th Sheffield

8th Sheffield

9th Sheffield

10th Otley

11th Ilkley

Paul

Thanks Paul, i wonder if the battery is Halifax, and recruited from Brighouse, which is only around five miles away, thanks for the info, much appreciated

Les

Les

There was certainly a Wakefield Battery, RFA, because some of the Wakefield policemen volunteered to join it in May 1915. Unfortunately I don't know anything more about it.

Colin Jackson

B Battery 168th RFA i think were based at Brighouse in 1915 as well as Huddersfield ,Calder Valley, also a company of 1/4th Batt West Ridings.I live close by if you need some info.

Closest TF Battery would be Heckmondwike.

Ady :)

B Battery 168th RFA i think were based at Brighouse in 1915 as well as Huddersfield ,Calder Valley, also a company of 1/4th Batt West Ridings.I live close by if you need some info.

Closest TF Battery would be Heckmondwike.

Ady :)

Hello, has anyone heard of, or know anything about, the Brighouse Battery, as far as i know it was a TF battery formed in Brighouse yorkshire, and served in France/Flanders, here's hoping.

Regards Les

thanks Colin and Ady,.. B bty 168th RFA rings a bell Ady, thanks again for all reply's. Lightcliffe lad myself Regards Les

Les

Ady seems to have the best option, here are 3 Casualties from B Bty 168 Bde, lots of other W/Yorks lads who seemed to have reinfoced the Brigade which was actually designated Rotherham.

L/29381 BARRACLOUGH, HAROLD Driver "B" Bty. 168th Bde. Age 22 02/11/1918

Son of Abraham and Mary Ann Barraclough, of 7, Ashgrove Terrace, Rastrick, Brighouse, Yorks. Premont British Cemetery I. E. 20.

L/25756 BROOMHEAD, HARRY Bombardier "B" Bty. 168th Bde. Age ? 06/10/1918

Son of Henry and Susannah Broomhead, of 15, Lower Newlands, Brighouse, Yorks.

Tourgeville Mil Cemetery IV. C. 14.

L/28204 HARRISON, FREDERICK Driver "B" Bty. 168th Bde. Age 27 03/10/1918

Son of Frank and Mary Ann Harrison, of Clifton; husband of Emily Harrison, of Holly House, Clifton, Brighouse, Yorks.

Cerisy-Gailly Mil Cemetery III. K. 13.

Paul

Les

Ady seems to have the best option, here are 3 Casualties from B Bty 168 Bde, lots of other W/Yorks lads who seemed to have reinfoced the Brigade which was actually designated Rotherham.

Son of Abraham and Mary Ann Barraclough, of 7, Ashgrove Terrace, Rastrick, Brighouse, Yorks. Premont British Cemetery I. E. 20.

Son of Frank and Mary Ann Harrison, of Clifton; husband of Emily Harrison, of Holly House, Clifton, Brighouse, Yorks.

Paul

Les

Paul

Les

Paul

Thanks Paul, i will check those names Regards Les

In 1915, over eight hundred men were recruited for the 168th Brigade (Huddersfield), Royal Field Artillery, most of them during May. The Brigade’s four batteries were sent to four areas: A Battery, (Huddersfield Battery) based at Huddersfield; B Battery, (Calder Valley Battery) based at Brighouse; C Battery, (Holme Valley Battery) based at Holmfirth; D Battery, (Colne Valley Battery) based at Slaithwaite.

I believe the recruiting area stretched from the borders of Halifax down into Brighouse and Huddersfield, then through Holmfirth to include Penistone; recruiting had to be stopped in Penistone to leave some room in C Battery for some Holmfirth men.

They started out training in their own areas, and moved to Ripon for further training at brigade level in July, C Battery left on Tuesday July 13th, so B Battery must have gone around then also.

Their next move was to Salisbury Plain where the weather conditions were very bad, and the ground soon turned to mud. The horses did not have sufficient rugs to protect them and they died at an alarming rate, but the health of the men remained quite good.

In December they did extremely well in competition at Larkhill and many were given leave at Christmas. On Boxing Day the men received telegrams recalling them and on December 27th they took the train to the coast and sailed for France onboard the SS Inventor, arriving at Harve the same day. After three days in billets they went into action at Meaulte, where they stayed until January 19th 1916 when they moved to Warloy.

They were in action during the week before the Somme, and there were casualties in the brigade that week.

I think the Rotherham reference is a mistake.

I would expect the Brighouse newspaper to have something on this, especially during the initial training period - May, June and July 1915.

Tony.

Thanks Tony, and Ady, the help from pals is first class, as usual, its very much appreciated

Regards Les

Les, Tony

Apologies for the 'Rotherham' reference I did find it strange myself although I found many South and East Yorks chaps within the Bde.

Got the Rotherham bit from here

http://www.warpath.orbat.com/artillery/rfa_btys_wru.htm

CLXVIII (Rotherham) Brigade. (War Raised Unit). Formed in 1915 and consisted of A, B, C and D Batteries. In the 31st Division.

Any ideas?

Huddersfield lad myself so this error bothers me a bit.

Regards Paul

• 1 month later...

Paul,

I have only just spotted this. There are plenty of newspaper reports that state the Huddersfield Brigade was the 268th. They also state that the Brigade started training with 15 pounder field guns that would be replaced with 18 pounders. Nothing at all about howitzers or any connection with Rotherham.

In fact the men of the Huddersfield Battery (A) started out living at home and training each day in Greenhead Park. My uncle's father was one of them and his service record survived, taken with all the newspaper stuff there can be no doubt the Rotherham reference is a mistake.

I have seen the Brigade mentioned often in the Huddersfield Examiner and the Holmfirth Express at Huddersfield library. I have not checked the Colne Valley Guardian or the Huddersfield Chronicle, but I am sure they will confirm it.

Tony.

Paul,

I have only just spotted this. There are plenty of newspaper reports that state the Huddersfield Brigade was the 268th. They also state that the Brigade started training with 15 pounder field guns that would be replaced with 18 pounders. Nothing at all about howitzers or any connection with Rotherham.

Tony.

Tony

Please confirm 168/268

Many thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just been going through the 1918 Microfiche at Brighouse Library and its deffo 168th B Battery RFA

They went into Germany and were at Seinzeille Dec 1918 the OC was Maj WA Ebbels

As an add on from Jan 14th 1916 248 Huddersfield and Brighouse volunteers were transferred to Smethwick nr Birmingham to the 175th Bde RFA.

Source Brighouse Echo 1916-1918.

Ady