Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bernard David Olyott

Kathie

"Bernie" is one of twenty soldiers on the Great War section of the Port Alfred War Memorial in the Eastern Cape of South africa. In this area most white people in 1914 were recent descendants of the 1820 settlers and the family treees are easy to find. bErnard David was in the 1st Regt of the South aFrican Infantry and was killed at Warlencourt on 18 October 1916. His parents were John and Alice Olyott and I can find nothing about them or him - no school, work, other family, no letters or even a photo. Any suggestiions - the name was not Ulyate because all roll of honour and memorial notices are definitely Olyott. Any mention in books, diaries, other peoples letters - he is just lost and so is his family.

Thanks

Kathie

"Bernie" is one of twenty soldiers on the Great War section of the Port Alfred War Memorial in the Eastern Cape of South africa. In this area most white people in 1914 were recent descendants of the 1820 settlers and the family treees are easy to find. bErnard David was in the 1st Regt of the South aFrican Infantry and was killed at Warlencourt on 18 October 1916. His parents were John and Alice Olyott and I can find nothing about them or him - no school, work, other family, no letters or even a photo. Any suggestiions - the name was not Ulyate because all roll of honour and memorial notices are definitely Olyott. Any mention in books, diaries, other peoples letters - he is just lost and so is his family.

Thanks

Kathie

Kathie

Try this guy, if he's not the "right" Olyott he may know who is. Worth an email anyway.

"Marc Olyott - 07/18/00 12:15:00

My Email:marc.olyott@sully.co.uk

Families you are researching: OLYOTT

Where you live: Bristol U.K

Comments:

I am trying to research the appearance of the OLYOTT surname in South Africa. Around 1900 it is believed that two brothers arrived from Ireland from whom the current OLYOTTs living in SA and Zimbabewe may be related. I know that there is are OLYOTT family(ies) living in SA whom I am currently trying to contact. If you have any further information on the surname please send me an E-mail"

I have a copy of the 9th Division History if you need some info for acions and dates. In Pte Olyott's case he may have been in the three companies of 1st SA infantry who went into the attack on the Butte de Warlencourt on the 18th and, with the exception of a Lewis Gun team and some wounded, of the two left hand companies none of them ever returned.

Aye

Malcolm