Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone going to PRO?

ttd0

If anyone is going to the PRO I would be grateful if they could look up any of the following Medal Index Cards for me:

7972 Pte Herbert Wiltshire, 2/Wiltshire Regt

5117 Pte Thomas Wiltshire, Wiltshire Regt

7638 Pte William Wiltshire, Wiltshire Regt

???? ??? George Ernest Wiltshire, R.A ? wounded and discharged

???? ??? Frederick Richard Wiltshire, ??? probably 1918 call up.

Particularly the last two.

I would be willing to pay towards photocopying etc..

Thanks

Tim

Hi,

I will be going upto the PRO during February and I would be quite happy to look up the Medal Role Index cards. (I will be looking up a few soldiers on there anyway!)

I am not too sure of the date that I will go, work permitting. It could be on the 11th or else the 19th.

I have printed off all the details that you would like to be looked at. Obviously if someone you know is going sooner than I am, let me know. Otherwise I am more than happy to look at the Medal Role slides for you and get them photocopied.

Alie.

Alie

When you go to PRO will you also be checking the Wound Badge Roll?

I have one of these " For Services Rendered" badges and would be most interested in the details of the man it was issued to ?

Hi Jas,

Thats interesting. I didn't know that there was a Wound Badge roll! I also have a silver 'For Services Rendered' badge myself. Let me know the number that you have on the back of it, and I will look up yours as well as mine for any information.

Looks like I need to be at the PRO as soon as it opens, and on both dates! I am looking forward to it though!

Alie.

Folks,

maybe I've misunderstood (in which case abject apologies) , but are you talking about looking up a SWB based solely on the number i.e. you don't know the name??

I had been led to believe that this was not possible in the PRO, since the SWB rolls are arranged by regiment/corps and, although the ones I've looked at have the badges in (sort of) numerical order, you actually need more detail to find what you want.

I understand there is a numerical list in private hands somewhere and professional researchers will check this in return for a small fee.

As I say, if I've misunderstood I'll get back in my box - and if anybody can explain how you go into the SWB rolls from the badge number alone I would love to know.

Jock Bruce

All,

The SWB roll is arranged by regimental districts. The one for Warwicks, for example, covers Warwicks, Worcesters, Gloucesters, Berkshires & Ox & Bucks. There are 6 volumes for this district alone.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to find someone, but it would take a long time, unless I have missed something.

Rob

Folks

I am now advised that there is more to it than checking a list of numbers at PRO which is what I understood earlier. Does anyone know how / where to get the missing details ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ttdO or Tim,

I have finally made it to the PRO today!

I looked up all of the names on the Medal Role Index and I have a photocopy of each for you.

Herbert, Thomas and William were easy as you had all of their numbers and the Wiltshire regt also corresponded.

As to George, well I could see only one George Ernest, R.F.A. Driver Reg no 2564 and then 825933. It looks like he has a SWB joined 19/11/15 theatre of war France and then discharged 07/04/19.

As for Frederick, the best I could find was a Private Frederick. R. There were no others I could see. It seemed that he might of joined the Dorset R or Worc. R. (I have discovered today that alot of sevens look like number nines so his reg no. could be either), 31743 or 31943 in Dorset. R or 57548 or 59548 in Worc. R.

But if you want to email me with your address then I am more than happy to send these photocopies on and let you make of them what you will! Please let me know what you think, I hope I have been able to help you.

If I don't hear from you I will send you an email as I am not sure how often you log on to this site!

Alie.