Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helles Memorial , help please

chris miles

Hi

Thanks to members of this forum I was sent in the direction of Helles Memorial, there I have found a George Mason who could be the person I am loooking for the information I have from there is birth unknown, age unknown, no known grave, able seaman Royal Navy volunteer reserves, died 19th May 1915, I have tried CWGC but the name doesn't come up. How can I find out more details on this man please,also any ideas on finding his brother Thomas Mason again lost at sea due to enemy action March 1918 his age 41.

Thanks Chris

He is on both the CWGC and at the NA.

Name: MASON, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text: Howe Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 19/05/1915

Service No: KX/287

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8 to 15.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

And at the NA.

Name Mason, George

Service Number(s): KX/287 ...

Rank or Rating: Ordinary Seaman, Able Seaman, Durham Light Infantry, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Date of Birth: 30 December 1892

30 December 1892 ADM 339/2

You can download his record file from here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=9

Hope this helps

Phil

A little more info from the Jack Clegg Memorial Database on Find My Past

First name(s): George

Last name: MASON

Number: Kitchener X/287

Awards:

Service branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit: Howe Battalion

Date of birth: 30 Dec 1892

Date of death: 19 May 1915

Cause of death: Killed in action

Service history: Enlisted in the Durham Light Infantry 4/9/14. & transferred to RNVR 7/9/14. Howe Battalion B/209 7/9/14-19/5/15 Discharged Dead

Burial: Helles Memorial (MR 4)

Notes: Born Wingate 30/12/1892. A Miner. Home address: c/o T. Race, 7 Church St., Station Town, Wingate, Co. Durham, in civil life. Next-of-Kin: Grandmother, Susanna Hill, 388 New Row, Wingate, Co Durham.

1914 Star issued to Mr. J.W. Hill 22/5/19, V.B. issued to Mother.

Cheers

Sue

This is possibly not the correct George Mason - he does not seem to have been able to have had a brother killed at age 41 in 1918

In the 1901 census this George was shown as 8 years old - he had brothers Ralph 3 and Thomas W 9 months.

Parents were - father John 33 born Hartshorn Derbyshire around 1868 and mother Sarah 31 born Wingate Durham around 1870.

If Thomas was 41 in 1918 he would have had to have been born around 1877 - so this George's parents would have been too young to have been Thomas's parents also

Cheers

Sue

This is possibly not the correct George Mason - he does not seem to have been able to have had a brother killed at age 41 in 1918

In the 1901 census this George was shown as 8 years old - he had brothers Ralph 3 and Thomas W 9 months.

Parents were - father John 33 born Hartshorn Derbyshire around 1868 and mother Sarah 31 born Wingate Durham around 1870.

If Thomas was 41 in 1918 he would have had to have been born around 1877 - so this George's parents would have been too young to have been Thomas's parents also

Cheers

Sue

Thanks for the help, none of these are the ones I am looking wrong parents or wrong date of birth, thanks anyway I'll keep looking maybe they were not in any forces by this time.

Chris