Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edgar Heeles

vee

I wonder if anyone could help me with my research into Edgar Heeles please?.

I am trying to find out as much as I can about his war history.

I have his Army record but it is very difficult to read. In fact I can't make head nor tail of it as there is a lot of Army jargon written on it. I do know he was injured in Salonika but I don't know how or by whom.

I would love to learn more about this brave man's time during the war.

His Army number was 3479 Yorkshire Hussars.

Thanks very much?

Vee

He was Transferred to the East Lancashire Regiment 9th Battalion with the number 9/35743, he joined the Battalion on the 8/10/1916 in Salonika, if you see his MIC the 9 prefix is dropped.

Try a new post asking for info on the East Lancashire Regiment in Salonika, it might brig more of a response as i think we have no Yorkshire Hussar experts on the Forum.

Regards Kevin

Vee

If I understand his Service Record correctly this is a brief summary....

01 Nov. 1915 - Attested and Embodied at York into the 2/1 Yorkshire Hussars, Service No. 3479.

09 Sep. 1916 - Transferred to 3rd Bn. East Lancashire Regiment, Service No. 35743?.

15 Sep. 1916 - Embarked at Devonport & Posted to Mediterranean Infantry Base Depot.

08 Oct. 1916 - Disembarked at Salonika and Tranferred to 9th Bn. East Lancashire Regiment.

28 Jul. 1917 - Admitted No.68 Field Ambulance with ICT Knee (Inflammation of the Connective Tissues).

29 Jul. 1917 - To 31st Casualty Clearing Station.

10 Aug. 1917 - Admitted No.60 General Hospital ? again with ICT Knee.

30 Aug. 1917 - To No.5 Convalescent Depot.

27 Sep. 1917 - Joined No.2 Base Depot.

06 Oct. 1917 - Rejoined 9th Bn. East Lancashire Regiment.

15 May 1918 - To Con. Camp Gramalna ?

12 Jun. 1918 - Rejoined 9th Bn. East Lancashire Regiment.

01 Jul. 1918 - Granted 1st Class Proficiency Pay.

18 Mar. 1919 - Embarked for UK and Demobilization.

05 May 1919 - Disembodied.

Entitled to British War & Victory Medals.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Kevin and Steve

Thank you both very much indeed for your helpful replies.

Kevin. After Steve's helpful reply, do you think it necessary for me to post again re E Lancs reg in Salonika?

Steve. Is it possible I can get further information on Edgar's time in the war - pictures maybe, or anything really?

Also con camp Granalma?. Excuse my ignorance but is that Concentration Camp?. Can I get further information on that too please?.

I'm almost ashamed to say I know very little about the war years so any help at all would be fab. What is 1st Class Proficiency Pay?

Thanks again.

Vee :D

Vee

Have you tried looking on the web site The Long Long Trail, for any answers?

Link to the 22nd Division here http://www.1914-1918.net/22div.htm.

After looking at this site, if any question you still have, feel free to post them here, as i am sure someone will be able to answer them.

Regards Kevin

• 12 years later...

Wow! I found this thread just by punching Edgar Heeles into Google, so hanks SteveE for that very interesting info. I had found a much smaller amount of info in the military records at Ancestry.com, but what I found there lines up very well with the information above.

I never knew or met Edgar, but he was my great Uncle. He had a sister, Annie, who was my paternal grandmother. :-)

Keith 

1 hour ago, KEDBROWN said:

Wow! I found this thread just by punching Edgar Heeles into Google, so hanks SteveE for that very interesting info. I had found a much smaller amount of info in the military records at Ancestry.com, but what I found there lines up very well with the information above.

I never knew or met Edgar, but he was my great Uncle. He had a sister, Annie, who was my paternal grandmother. :-)

Keith 

Keith, you may find this interesting, I think it's an account of the death of Edgar's Father.

From The Leeds Mercury, November 13th, 1915.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200525-212844.jpg

Very interesting! Yes, thank you for that. Thomas Heeles was indeed my great grandfather. I had not seen this newspaper article before, but I was aware that this was how he died, as I have his death record (below). There's a bit more detail in this article though. Nasty way to go out! ☹️

359820471_ScreenShot2020-05-25at4_27_07PM.png.2578cc8d41834144282ab2ad57a42670.png