Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with 2 large brass shells

shorncliffe

Was wondering if anyone could help with more info on 2 brass shell cases i picked up at a local auction. they stand 380mm high and 75mm across the top. on the bottom are the following marks and numbers.

DEZ 1917 48, H and then what looks like a back to front J over 27 and then FN inside a circle.

Are these british shell cases and if so what sort of guns would they have been fired from.

thanks

annie

post-29223-1209331234.jpg

Hello, Annie - It's a German 76.2x385 shell case manufactured in December 1917 by Friedrich Niemeyer ("FN"). These rounds were used in captured Russian 76.2mm field guns mounted as anti-aircraft. Regards, Torrey

How about this one?

post-5512-1209407500.jpg

It measures approximately 73mm across the base. This one is definitely German as it's marked "PATRONENFABRIK" & "KARLSRUHE", made in 1902; could this have been used in the GW or is it just too early? - any thoughts as to the other Marks("M" surmounted by a crown, VII, 8, 11, 15, the small & large dots, and the C/12 on the detonator) doubtless some of these are inspection & manufacturing marks. I got this "mated" with the fuse with the arabic inscription (still to be translated, see: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=896198 )

post-5512-1209407533.jpg

The fuse's threaded section has been made a good fit into the case by the addition of a brass collar soldered to its inside; I certainly wouldn't call it trench art as I think it has probably been cobbled together in more recent years from the two totally unrelated components - its not particularly artistic either :D !

Nigel

Hello NigelS,

yours is a 60x64 mm case for the 6 cm "Bootskanone" .

The M surmounted by a crown means is was used by the navy, the roman numeral VII means it was made in july of 1902.

The II and 15 and dots are markings that it was refilled at least once in 1915 (so yes it was used in WW1 B) )

C/12 in the primer means it was the model from 1912 and this marking is only found on naval munition.

The number 8 stands for the eight (sp?) batch of 1902.

And of course the fuse has been made to fit this case as it is nowhere like the fuse used for this ammunition :D

Hi Arie

Thanks for the detailed reply. Nice to see that at least the primer and the cartridge were both of naval origin and that it did get used in WWI. I guess its likely that the case would have been stockpiled between 1902 and the start of the war or it would have an earlier refill date. Presumeably cases and primers were stored seperately until much nearer the time of use?

I wonder how much trouble someone had trying to finding a case which would could be made to take the fuse :rolleyes:?

Nigel

Thanks Paul and Torrey for taking the time to reply.

i have always wanted a pair of shell cases from the first world war and with your info have made these quite special for me.

I will be keeping an eye out more often now at the local auction houses and see what else i can find.

Once again thanks very much for your replies

Annie