Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basil Liddell Hart book by Alex Danchev

armourersergeant

I am after any help as to exact dates that Basil Liddell Hart served with the 9th battn. KOYLI on the Somme. Paul Reed has a officers photo and he does not appear to be in that and I am not sure if he went over the top with the 9th on 1st July 1916.

So I wondered if anyone has a biography or some knowledge as to when he served. It is mainly curiosity to if he was in action on 1st July when 21st division attacked at Fricourt. But I would be grateful for any information.

regards

Arm

Did not go over the top in the first wave (0730), but formed part of the nucleus left to reform the battalion if it went pear-shaped. Call came in early afternoon for five reserve officers to go up , and LH was one. They eventually reached Bn HQ off the Sunken Rd between 2100 and 2300. After 2 desperate days and nights 9 KOYLI were withdrawn late on 03/07/16. (Dantchev)

Thank you Richard.

I wonder how different WW1 would be perceived had he gone over the top at 7.30am on the 1st. 64th brigade suffered high casualties that day, as of course did many.

regards

Arm