Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Francis Sawyer

Dian

I am just beginning to find out how to use this forum! I think at last I have found the right place to put things.

I am attaching a postcard photograph of my Great Uncle, Albert Francis Sawyer, who served in France. That is all I know about him apart from a collection of "pretty" postcards he sent from France to my mother, his neice. He has sent it to a member of the family writing "Toby and I, with love from Bert, 20/2/16" His nephew has written above this "Uniform Royal Horse Guards?"

Does anyone know the answer? He lived to fight in WW2 at the same time as his son Peter Sawyer, but that's another story. This post card is an English one. He was born in 1890 in Brixton and would most likely have been in a London regiment.

Dian

post-1-1076520905.jpg

Hi Dian,

Welcome to the forum.

The cap badge in the photo appears to be that of the Queens Own West Kent Yeomanry (Hussars). If you look on the Long,Long Trail website you may find details about the Regiment, which, in my limited knowledge, I understand to be a cavalry Regiment.

Do you have Regimental number for him?, or just the photo.

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Paul

Many thanks for your email, which I missed. I was going back to my query about Gt Uncle Bert, thinking I should move it to "Uniforms", when I found your reply. I have just acquired his photograph and know no more about him, except that he was my maternal grandmother's brother who send many sentimental post-cards to my mother when he was in France in WW1. She kept them. I think he must have died when I was a small child.

I will now look up the other website and see what I can find.

Thank you again.

Dian

• 5 years later...

Albert Francis Sawyer was my grandfather. His daughter Phyllis was my mother, and Peter is my uncle. What would you like to know? (If you happen to be reading this five years later! :) )