Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th div,1st aif

G,DAY, STUMBLED ON THIS SITE AND IT LOOK'S PRETTY GOOD TO ME,

I AM RESERCHING MY GRANDFATHERS MILITARY SERVICE,NEAR COMPLETED,

I REQUIRE THE UNITS THAT HIS UNIT FOUGHT AGAINST?

MY GRANDFATHER WAS A MEMBEROF::54TH BATT,,14BRIGADE,,5TH DIV,,1ST AIF.

ENGAGEMENTS FROM..2ND BULLECOURT..3-17/MAY 17 TO MONT ST QUENTIN..1/9/18. WIA PERONNE , 1/9/18.

IF ANY MEMBER CAN HELP TO LOCATE THIS INFORMATION IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECEATED.

ALSO DOES ANY KNOW THE NAME OF THE BLOKE THAT SHOT HIM???

ALL THE BEST ...MORK.

At 2nd Bullecourt, your grandfather would have been facing the Lehr Regiment of the 3rd Guards Division.

Mont St Quentin was an amazing effort against the 2nd Prussian Guards Division, including Alexander Regt and Augusta Regt. In Peronne, prisoners were captured from 28th Reserve Infantry Regiment (RIR), 65th Infantry Regiment (IR), 161st IR, 94th IR, 95th IR, 96th IR, 4th Bavarian IR, 8th Bav IR, 25th Bav IR and 447th IR. You pays your money.....

If you have any other specific battles you want to know about, post them here.

PS: no need to shout with capitals mate.

Cheers

thanks for reply,will tone down a bit,still getting used to this equipment?

other battle's involved are-- 3rd ypres, july--november--1917

villers-bretonneux - 24/25-april-1918

hamel--4-july-1918

amiens--8-aug-1918

thank you for yout infomation greatly appreciated.

mork.

hamel--4-july-1918

No worries, mate. Thanks very much for listing the others. It saves heaps of work trying to figure out which other battles involved your grandfather's unit. Check out the attached map for Hamel

post-2-1076607760.jpg

amiens--8-aug-1918

I don't think the 5th Division was actively involved. However, the German 13th and 41st Divisions were up against the Australians on the opening day of Amiens.

3rd ypres, july--november--1917

5th Division was initially in reserve. It came into the line on September 22nd/23rd. Across No-man's Land were 49th and 2nd Reserve IDs of 3rd Reserve Division.

At 2nd Bullecourt, your grandfather would have been facing the Lehr Regiment of the 3rd Guards Division.

Mont St Quentin was an amazing effort against the 2nd Prussian Guards Division, including Alexander Regt and Augusta Regt. In Peronne, prisoners were captured from 28th Reserve Infantry Regiment (RIR), 65th Infantry Regiment (IR), 161st IR, 94th IR, 95th IR, 96th IR, 4th Bavarian IR, 8th Bav IR, 25th Bav IR and 447th IR. You pays your money.....

If you have any other specific battles you want to know about, post them here.

PS: no need to shout with capitals mate.

Cheers

Robert

Interesting stuff.

Would you know which German unit opposed 1/4 Cheshires, 34th Division, on the morning of 14th October 1918?

Beppo,

That was around Menen IIRC? Then it would be parts of the 39th and 40th ID opposing them. On 14th October, the 39th ID was almost annihilated in the fighting around Menen.

Jan

Beppo,

That was around Menen IIRC? Then it would be parts of the 39th and 40th ID opposing them. On 14th October, the 39th ID was almost annihilated in the fighting around Menen.

Jan

Jan

Thanks for that, the early Cheshire Regiment casualties of the day are buried in Hooge Crater Cemetery, the later casualties elsewhere.

My great uncle, Joe Bull, was killed in that attack, and I was trying to find out more about the defenders.

Do you know where the 39th and 40th German ID's were recruited? I know next to nothing about the Imperial German Army.

The 39th was a Alsacian division, the 40th Saxon.

Jan

to robert, got your reply on hamel,..you must know your stuff, cause your bloody quick! thanks.

just of the subject a bit , where are you from ? ...i'm from lithgow nsw aus.

mork.

Beppo,

Jan

Thanks AOK. I was not going to be able to help on this one. I have limited information on the battles in the last 100 days.

thanks for reply,will tone down a bit,still getting used to this equipment?

other battle's involved are-- 3rd ypres, july--november--1917

villers-bretonneux - 24/25-april-1918

hamel--4-july-1918

amiens--8-aug-1918

thank you for yout infomation greatly appreciated.

mork.

Hi mork,

54th Bn was not actively involved in 2nd Villers-Bretonneux. From north to south, the 14th Brigade covered the left flank of the attack, 15th Brigade was the left hand pincer, a British Division (Erk, sorry Pals, forgotten which :unsure: ) covered the town of V-B in the centre and 13th Brigade was the right hand pincer.

According to the maps in the Australian Official History Volume V, 54th Bn was on the right hand end of the 14th Brig line, opposite Vaire Wood (Bois de Vaire on Robert Dunlops excellent map of Hamel). That section of line was covered by the German Füsilier-Regiment Kaiser Franz Josef von Österreich, König von Ungarn (4. Württembergisches) Nr.122, part of the 243 Infanterie Division.

Will get back to you about Amiens.

3rd Ypres poses some problems simply because it went on for months, but I'll see what I can turn up on the specific "battles within the battles"

cheers

Duckman

Hi again mork,

The Australian War Memorial have published the Official History on their Website - available in .pdf format (Adobe Acrobat).

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/index.asp

Bullecourt and 3rd Ypres are in volume IV and the others you mention in Vols V and VI. That should cover 54 Bns doings in full, and Bean is usually pretty good at identifying the units the Australians went up against (though sometimes you have to fossick about a bit.

Have fun

Duckman.