Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Thought I would sneek in a pre-war Territorial battalion,cant make out any title numbers but that monument on top

of the hill might be a clue to the location. They seen to be drinking pints of porter or stout, could the guy in a slouch hat be a Boer war veteran?

post-12169-1214078390.jpg

Ron,

I'm wondering if it is an observatory on the hill, and yes it is very likely to be a dark ale or porter in the pint glasses. I don't think it is the 7th as I think they had the Thain of Fife on the collar up to the war, but I might be wrong.

Aye

Tom McC

The hut at the back has vents at the top. Could it be a 'dry bog' on ranges somewhere? there seems to be a bell tent behind it.

Tom

Ron,

Re Slouch Hats.

Check Form Member,John Duncan's Web-Site "Newbattle at War" and check the Section for the 8th Royal Scots.

You'll see photos of Slouch Hats being worn and I can confirm My Uncle was not a South African veteran :D

George

Hi all

This is a pic of Pte Smith Easton 4/5th Black Watch. Does anyone think this is the same man 2nd row far left on the first photo of this topic ?

Thanks

post-18843-1214482345.jpg

Tonka,

That is a very good likeness and I would say a good possibility. The name Smith Easton is familiar to me; was he originally 5th (Angus & Dundee) Bn, The Black Watch?

Aye

Tom McC

Tom

I think he was originally in the 4th reserve batallion and went to war 1916-18. I will try and post his MIC when i get home.

Tonka

Can't upload his MIC but his certificate of employment during the war states he was in the 4th Reserve battalion. Although he received the MM, there is no mention of it on his MIC ?

Tonka

This one is an official war photo with a good shot of the goatskin jackets no Battalion number or date?

Ron.

And the next one moves farther down the line,note the small stature of the men.

Ron.

post-12169-1214583670.jpg

post-12169-1214583795.jpg

Can't upload his MIC but his certificate of employment during the war states he was in the 4th Reserve battalion. Although he received the MM, there is no mention of it on his MIC ?

Tonka

He most likely has more than one MIC. James Fraser (see below) has 3, on of which was for his MM.

Neil

This one is an official war photo with a good shot of the goatskin jackets no Battalion number or date?

Ron.

And the next one moves farther down the line,note the small stature of the men.

Ron.

Hi Ron

The photo is of the Roll Call at Noeux les Mines, outside the Battalion billets, April 1918. Guid things come in wee packets.

The quality of this postcard is poor but there is a nice large size scouts armbadge on the man in the doorway.

The guy wielding the adze is holding a can of Fray Bentos bully beef.What were the Saltaire flags used for?

post-12169-1214684534.jpg

Ron,

Great photo, looks like it is outside the lines at Oudenarde Barracks in Aldershot pre-war, therefore, 1st Battalion The Black Watch. The saltire flags look like hand signalling flags. Once in the trenches, a similar flag was used as a Coy Marker.

Aye

Tom McC

I'd have to concur with Tom, it does look like Aldershot barracks 1914.

regards

Ian

Tonka,

3521 Pte Smith Easton was in the 5th Black Watch, and judging by his Regimental number, enlisted between November and December 1915. As a yardstick, LCpl James May was 3515 and enlisted on 22-11-15. His second number is a result of the Territorial Force re-numbering in late 1916/early 1917. His number then becomes 241094. By the time he has finished training (at Bridge of Earn and probably Ripon), the 4th and 5th would have been made into a composite battalion 4/5th Black Watch (I won't use amalgamated as both entities still officially existed). A & B Coy were the 4th, and C & D Coys were the 5th.

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

Tom

Thanks very much for that. I'm getting a far clearer picture now.

Neil

Thanks also. I will check the national archives for multiple MIC's

Regards

Graham

This poscard sent to Mackie Balgonie Rd Markinch Fifeshire. There is a feint postmark of 1915.

Printed by the Barry camp photographer Dundee St Carnoustie.

Ron.

post-12169-1214855457.jpg

Here we have an original water colour painted on a plain postcard,can anyone translate the writing on the reverse?

Ron

Here is the back.

post-12169-1215020939.jpg

post-12169-1215021057.jpg

The PC says:

A Scottish elite unit. The Black Watch regiment was virtually wiped out at Neuville on 9.5.15. It is said to have lost 800 dead, not to mention the wounded.