Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died in Ireland

chrisharley9

I found your website this evening, and I was amazed to find information on James Henry Bor. I am currently researching my Family Tree and I recently discovered that James Henry Bor was my first cousin 4 times removed. He was Major Gen. of the Royal Marine Artillery, Companion of the Bath and Companion of St. Michael and St. George. He served in Cyprus and also in Crete, He had the Italian Silver Medal for gallantry.He was on the Staff of the Admiralty (London) for nine years. I found an article recently which confirmed this information, and also confirmed that he was an A.D.C to the Duke of Cornwall and York (1901). He was Extra Equerry to the Price of Wales and the King (1901-10). ADC to King Edward Vll (1904-10) and King George V (1910-11). He was the brother of Lieut. Col Arthur Bor 3rd Battalion of West India Regt.

Thank you for this wonderful website.

Nice to hear from you - do you have any further details with regard to him as Im trying to work out if he was in service at the time of his death

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

Re: Henry James Bor - I found Henry James Bor listed among the "World War 1 - Casualty Lists of the Royal Navy and Dominion Navies

Researched & compiled by Don Kindell

1st - 30th SEPTEMBER 1914"

It reads -

Wednesday, 23 September 1914

Royal Marine Artillery

BOR, James H, General, RMA, died in UK

We know that he died on 23rd September 1914 and this list of casualties is of that date.

Source:http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1914-09Sept.htm

I hope this helps:)

best,

Dee

Dee

He does not appear in the Naval GRO list so at present a case for commemoration by CWGC cannot be made at present as there is no evidence that he was serving at the time of death

Chris

• 3 months later...

Morning

Already following Lt Watts thanks

Auxiliaries do not qualify for CWGC commemoration as not members of HM Forces

Cheers

Chris

• 5 months later...

It is heartening to read about the project of IFTC to discover the men who died in Ireland, either during or after the war, and who are not listed on the CWGC database. Many men died shortly after being discharged, or in the years that followed, from illness or wound related complications. There was even one officer, Major Standish Smithwick late of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who, in 1956, died a painfully slow death as a result of metal fragments finally penetrating vital organs. In 1915, shrapnel from a grenade splintered his rifle causing what was then believed to be a minor wound. My point is that many men who died after the war's end were left in Limbo as far as being listed among the honoured dead of the Great War was concerned.

Sincere thanks to all who strive to bring them in from the cold.

Séamus

• 7 months later...

why do you bother keep putting these links in; it is information that we already know