Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died in Ireland

chrisharley9

Chris,

Without descending into bathos I am not a religious man (somewhere towards atheist on the atheist-agnostic continuum) but I do, somehow, believe in the enduring spirit of these men. It is for them that I have written my books and I believe that their names, even if only re-printed without extra comment, need recording and honouring.

Vincent's was one of the last files I checked at Kew and yet it seems as though it may be one of the more enduringly significant discoveries and one with which I will be proud to have been involved.

Bill

Hi Gentleman,

Have just returned from photographing the Churchyard at Glenville and found no grave marker for 2Lt S L Vincent.

It now looks like we will have to wait for the search of the church records (about 4 weeks) and the results of the GRO search (about 10 days) for the death certs for Green and Vincent.

The book that Tommy refers to is a fantastic piece of work and i agree with him its a must for anyone interested in how the position of cwg here in Ireland were brought from the 1920s into the present day and if we can find that these two men are indeed non coms then that is another steping stone in that work.

regards.

Sean

I will be putting forward Vincent's case on Tuesday. If you get any further info/DC etc, let me know at once.

I have just noticed the request for information on the 1921 IRA ambush at Upton & Innishannon station, on the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway, a little over 15 miles from Cork Albert Quay station. Although this incident may not be particularly well known among military historians, the railway fraternity have perhaps taken more notice – perhaps because many of the victims were innocent railwaymen who were shot dead while going about their lawful duties. A local railway author, the late Colm Creedon, writes as follows in his Vol II of his trilogy on the CB&SCR (Cork 1989):

“On February 15th an appalling massacre took place at Upton a remote country station, on the arrival of the 9.15 am down train from Cork. A party of between forty and sixty insurgents were lying in wait at the station having received information that a large contingent of British forces would be travelling on the train. As it happened, unknown to the waiting attackers, the convoy of troops who had come up by the connecting train from Kinsale did not in fact go westward but proceeded to the City, and only about twenty military personnel were on the 9.15 am train and they were mixed in with the ordinary civilian passengers.

When the train pulled up at Upton shortly before 10.00 am, the Republicans opened fire, killing six and injuring seventeen. The soldiers on the train returned the fire, killing two of the attacking force. One of the injured died later, bringing the total death toll to nine. Priests from the nearby Industrial School rendered spiritual assistance.

Three of the dead were railway employees - John Sisk signalman; Richard Arthur ticket checker, and a porter who was shot dead through the station house window. One of the civilian victims, who had his head blown off, was a Mr Galvin, a well-known commercial traveller who used this train regularly. Two of the badly injured were women, a Mrs Whitley, Barrack Street, and Mrs Rossborough, Barretts Buildings, both from the city. When the attack ended the station presented a shocking sight, with blood and bodies everywhere”.

Stanley

thanks for that very informative article

Chris

Captain Green not listed on CWGC database-neareest is a H.W.Green-but he was a Private of the Middlesex Regiment and died 11 Sept 1920

All,

Currently working on 1st Btn. Lincolnshire Regiment, and upto now have found one soldier who is not CWGC, Pte Minchin 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment, Killed in action at Mitchelstown, County Cork, on 17 December 1920.Sgt Leonard Ellis who also was killed the same day does appear on CWGC.

If any forum member has photographs or other research on the Lincolnshire Regiment in Ireland I would be very grateful.

Simon

PFF

we are in the process of tracking down the DC for Capt Green

Simon

another one to add to our list - thanks

Chris

Hi Simon,

would this be your man with spelling error,

regards,

Sean

Name: MINCHAM, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/12/1920

Service No: 4794312

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 457.

Cemetery: ILKESTON (PARK) CEMETERY

PS I cant find this regt No on the MIC index, any ideas,

Regards,

Sean

Hi Simon,

would this be your man with spelling error,

regards,

Sean

Name: MINCHAM, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/12/1920

Service No: 4794312

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 457.

Cemetery: ILKESTON (PARK) CEMETERY

PS I cant find this regt No on the MIC index, any ideas,

Regards,

Sean

HI Sean,

Thanks for that, I have it spelt as Minchin in two write ups, it has to be him !

Many thanks

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In relation to 2nd Lt S L Vincent I have just got conformation of his burial in Glenville churchyard (e-mail below) i am still waiting for results of search for his Death Cert.

Regards,

Sean.

Dear Sean

I have checked the Ardnageely register of burials and on 20 October 1926, the remains of Seymour Levington Vincent (Royal Field Artillery) described as “English soldier” are recorded as having been “re-interred in Glenville Church Yard”, he having been “killed during the Anglo-Irish War, 1920-22) aged 32 years. The burial was conducted by W. La R Bourchier, rector, assisted by Revd R.J. Hodges.

I hope this information is helpful.

Susan Hood

Sean

absolutely wonderful news

Chris

Chris

I have just learned that MoD has accepted VINCENT for commemoration.

Now that his grave has been found, it will be inspected and his commemoration will then be complete.

Well done to everyone concerned.

Sean/Bill

this is absolutely wonderful news - thanks to both of you for bringing this lad in from the cold

Chris

Terry

my thanks for taking this one forward

Chris

Bill

not a scooby

National Press & Media?

Chris

Well, we know he was born in 1890 and lived in Loughton, Essex. I'm no great genealogist but perhaps someone with some experience can advise how we might use this basic material to help find his original family, then we can search from there. Seymour Livingston Vincent is kind of an unusual name which might help.

Hi,

Record on ancestry for S L Vincent giving age as 3 months, but not a member yet if some kind member could check it please.

Regards,

Sean.

1891 England Census

1891 U.K. Census Collection

View Image

Name: Seymour L Vincent

Birth: abt 1891 - city, Essex, England

Residence: 1891 - township, city, Essex, England

If anyone knows anyone who has an account at genesreunited.co.uk, there's a lady on there called Margaret who has Seymour Vincent (born Loughton c.1891) in her family tree.

Adrian

Made contact with a lady who is his fifth cousin twice removed. Hoping to get more information and a direct descendant contact.

Good news