Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Jasper' JEX, RFC

verdun

Hi All,

I am seeking information on a next door neighbour I knew as a child. He told me he had served in the RFC and flew BE2s. He also said he was shot down by Richthofen!

I think he reached the rank of Major, but maybe I'm wrong after nearly 40 years! Certainly his surname was JEX and he was always known by his nickname of 'Jasper'. He died about 20 years ago, but I always wish I'd listened more closely as a child!

I know it's a long shot, but is there anyone out there who knows more....?

Kind regards to all,

Peter

In the list of crew names I have of the 80 aircraft shot down by Richthofen the name Jex does not appear. In checking "The Sky Their Battlefield" the only JEX who gets a mention in the book is a Sergeant A Jex of 84 sqn who was shot down in his SE5a over Peronne C6480 on 17th September 1918 and taken prisoner of war. In checking the on-line London Gazette database the only Jex I could find who was in the RFC/RAF was Cyril Francis Jex. Originally a 2nd lt in the Suffolk regiment he transferred to the RFC as a flying officer in the administrative branch and eventually became a temporary captain whilst he served as an adjutant before going back to the army. I may have missed something as there are many pages to view. If you have not already done so have a look for yourself on the website

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/AdvancedSe...?GeoType=London

Sorry that I could not substantiate anything of what you remember being told.

In the list of crew names I have of the 80 aircraft shot down by Richthofen the name Jex does not appear. In checking "The Sky Their Battlefield" the only JEX who gets a mention in the book is a Sergeant A Jex of 84 sqn who was shot down in his SE5a over Peronne C6480 on 17th September 1918 and taken prisoner of war. In checking the on-line London Gazette database the only Jex I could find who was in the RFC/RAF was Cyril Francis Jex. Originally a 2nd lt in the Suffolk regiment he transferred to the RFC as a flying officer in the administrative branch and eventually became a temporary captain whilst he served as an adjutant before going back to the army. I may have missed something as there are many pages to view. If you have not already done so have a look for yourself on the website

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/AdvancedSe...?GeoType=London

Sorry that I could not substantiate anything of what you remember being told.

Thanks anyway! I really appreciate your time and trouble. Kind regards, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

There was more than one Richthofen!

If he was an officer he'd be in the army list. Have you tried the Medal Index Cards?

If he was an officer he'd be in the army list. Have you tried the Medal Index Cards?

There are only two men with the name of JEX who also served in the RFC on the MIC database. One was a 2nd class air mechanic by the name of A Jex and the other was the man I mentioned earlier as being in the London Gazette:

Cyril Francis Jex

London Regiment 2415 - Private

Inns of Court Officer Training Corps 6717 - Private

Royal Flying Corps - Second Lieutenant, then promoted to Captain

Suffolk Regiment - Lieutenant

• 11 years later...

Hi , the man you’re talking about was my Grandfather. I don’t have a lot of info but I can tell you that he died more than 20 years ago. The story goes that he was shot in the stomach and then put into the trenches , how true this is I haven’t been able to verify.

I think there is a little overlapping of information in your thread between my Grandfather and father. My father served with the RAF during the Second World War. After he flew commercially and in the 60s rejoined and went to Singapore. He moved across to the Singapore armed forces in about 1969 as an instructor . It was there he attained the rank of Major. My grandfather died in the 70s and my father died in 1999. 

If if anyone has any info regarding either of them I would love to hear from you.

thanks

Andrew Jex

Andrew, Welcome to the forum.

Cyril Francis Jex, 13th Squadron Royal Flying Corps

1.  I can find only one Casualty Index Card which records:

05/04/17  Admitted to No. 6 Stationary Hospital, Boulogne, with Hernia Iug(?)

06/04/17  Admitted to No. 14 General Hospital Boulogne, with Hernia severe

07/04/17  Left Boulogne on Hospital Ship Cambria (or Ambulance Transport Cambria - see Casualty Form)

07/04/17  Admitted to American Red Cross Hospital, 98 Lancaster Gate, London

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000248591-jex-c.f

2.  Casualty Form:

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/12640

3.  airhistory records that your grandfather's BE2c was attacked by 4 hostile machines on 02/04/17 and crashed at 2 Squadron:

Jex 2Lt CF 13Sq   02.04.17   Ok[2510 BE2c] Attacked by 4 hostile machines and crashed at 2Sq during photography. 2Lt CF Jex Ok/P1581 2AM JH Bolton Ok

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/files/names_combined_I-J.txt

4.  Medal Index Card (from ancestry):

2415 Private - 12 London Regiment

6717 Private - Inns of Court OTC

2nd Lieutenant and Acting Captain - Royal Flying Corps. Commissioned 13/08/16

Lieutenant - Suffolk Regiment

Jex.jpg.7a50c207e7fe1782b7a9d6aaef8f6742.jpg

JP

14 hours ago, helpjpl said:

05/04/17  Admitted to No. 6 Stationary Hospital, Boulogne, with Hernia Iug(?)

Hernia [inguinal] ^_^