Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning POWs

Jan Nix

Pals

Can I expect to find a returning POW mentioned by name in the local press? What are the odds of finding an individual and what dates do I need to search, assuming he was repatriated sometime after the armistice? I'm talking Birmingham here so I imagine he was one among thousands.

All advice gratefully received.

Regards

Jan

There are a few mentioned in the Holmfirth Express, mostly between the end of November 1918 and the end of January 1919. Some of these men gave interviews that were reported. Newspapers vary, but I would say it was worth while taking a look at a man’s local newspaper, there may be nothing, but you might get a good account of his activities if you are lucky.

Tony.

Thank you, Tony, that's encouraging. I intend to give it a go. In your experience is any article likely to be in the form of a report rather than a list? The end of January 1919 seems quite early as a cut off point. Is it worth searching beyond that date?

Any other thoughts out there?

Regards

Jan

The father of one prisoner from Holmfirth committed suicide in early March because his son had not yet returned. He was right to assume he was dead. So far as Holmfirth was concerned all who were coming back did so by the end of January, although I could imagine men in hospital perhaps needing longer.

Even Australian and Canadian prisoners who came to visit relatives in this area before going home did so in December or January. Of course I can only speak for the Holmfirth Express area, elsewhere some men may well have been delayed.

If it is in any way important to you it is always worthwhile looking at a few issues before and after the dates you are interested in. You can never tell what you might come across. I have never seen a complete list of names of local prisoners, it was all individual reports. Sometimes during the war the paper would appeal to men at the front for information on missing men, but to find these you would need to go through the lot.

It might be worth asking at the library if they have any old almanacs from the time. They are often full of lists of casualties, medal winners etc.

Tony.

Many thanks, Tony, much appreciated. I have more idea what I need to look for now.

Regards

Jan

Hi,

The POWs who returned to my local area are often listed in the local newspapers. In some cases it is just a line:

“Joe Bloggs returned on Friday, he has been a prisoner of war in Germany since ‘whenever’”

Others are better and give a potted history of when he was taken prisoner, where, the camps he was in, and there are sometimes a few lines on what it was like – quoted from the individual.

If your lucky their might even be a picture – More prevalent in the cases of officers.

Often the archive newspapers are on microfilm/fish so it takes some time and patience, and you have to keep your eyes peeled for the name.

I was lucky enough to find the entry relating to my Great-Grandfather’s repatriation and it provided some good information, so it is worth sticking with.

Hope this gives you a better idea – and I hope you find something. It’s a great feeling when you see the name you are after – like striking gold! :lol:

Regards

Oli

The published Official Casualty Lists, certainly at the end of 1918, recorded released POWs in the usual fashion by giving regt., name, rank, number and place of residence.

The last piece of information had been included so that the Press would pick up on local men in exactly the same way that casualties and those decorated had been publicized during the fighting.

I can't recall offhand whether the information was released daily or weekly; but the IWM London's Library has one or two bound volumes of the Lists in chronological order.

LST_164

Jan, My local paper, Rochdale Observer, contains lists of returned soldiers in nearly every edition (Wednesday and Saturday) from the end of the war until about January if memory serves me right. Nothing specific, just line after line of soldiers names. Ralph.

Oli, LST_164 and Ralph

Many thanks for your informative replies. I now realise I'll probably be searching lists, so am bracing myself for the eye strain and aching neck! Very helpful to have narrowed down the dates. I intend to try B'ham Central Library initially but it's good to know of the collection at IWM London. (I wouldn't have thought of that)

And yes, it is such a good feeling to find what you're looking for. In an instant it wipes out memories of all those other days when success is so elusive.

Regards

Jan

• 3 months later...
Pals

Can I expect to find a returning POW mentioned by name in the local press? What are the odds of finding an individual and what dates do I need to search, assuming he was repatriated sometime after the armistice? I'm talking Birmingham here so I imagine he was one among thousands.

All advice gratefully received.

Regards

Jan

Hello, new to the site but you caught my eye. I found mention of my gt-gt uncle on Wolverhampton Council's website, they have an archive section and he was listed as one of the POW's who attended a civic function. I think they were listed under Rolls of Honour. Maybe Birmingham City Council has a similar set up on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught a glimpse of a Jan 1919 newspaper article today, the subject was a ceremony for the presentation of certificates to the men who had returned from captivity. All local P.O.W.s were named, including those not repatriated. The ceremony was organised by the local committee ( forgot the full name) who sent the food parcels etc and monitored the men.

So it looks like other local committees would also have been to look after pals whilst in captivity.

Alan

A brief update on my progress, or lack of it - well, zero to be exact!

Sadly, nothing on the Birmingham City Council website relating to POWs.

The search goes on.

Jan

I have been transcribing Great War information from my local newspaper and here is an example of an article concerning returning POWs, from the 28th november, 1918 issue:

ORMSKIRK PRISONERS OF WAR

TWO ARRIVED HOME LAST WEEK

TREATMENT BY THE HUNS

There arrived home on Thursday last, Pte. J. Palmer, eldest son of Mr. J. Croston, of Burscough Street, Ormskirk, and Pte. J. Connor, Prescott Yard, Ormskirk, both belonging to the King’s Liverpool Regt., and both of whom have been prisoners of war in Belgium since the British disaster, no long since relieved, which started at Cambrai in March last.

A representative of this journal interviewed Pte. Palmer at his home on Friday morning. Certainly he bore evidences of his internment with his pale features and subdued manner. He has lost close on two stones in weight during his confinement. At the time of the armistice he was at Loubeck, about 12 or 13 kilometres from Brussels. The Germans he said had been gradually driven back, and prisoners of course along with them.

“We have much to thank the Belgians for”, he remarked, “They fed us whenever they could, for the Germans gave us practically nothing. We were engaged tree felling for obstruction purposes during the Hun retreat and many a time we have gone into fields and eaten raw turnips. Whenever we had the chance we used to collect potato peelings in the camp, wash them and boil them in an old tin. These were reckoned a treat – but hunger is hunger,” he shrugged.

Questioned as to what happened after the armistice had been signed, Pte. Palmer said that a German officer told them on the 11th that they were leaving the town and that a British officer would call them. However they did not wait to be fetched, but struck out in companies of four for the British lines. Their clothes were little better than rags and none of them had overcoats, whilst their boots were completely done. They started off on the Tuesday morning, and greatly to their relief reached the British lines, after an exhausting tramp of between 30 and 40 miles. Fortunately, en route they were kindly treated by the Belgians, and managed to secure shelter at nights. Pte. Palmer was given a pair of sabats, or wooden boots, not unlike clogs, which helped him considerably, and he has brought them home as souvenirs.

On arrival at the British lines they were given a hearty reception, were fed and rested, and issued new clothing. They sailed from Calais to Dover the previous Monday, and after reporting at Oswestry were each given two months furlough, in which it is hoped that both men will regain their former health and vigour.

Pte. Palmer has been wounded twice, the last time in September, 1917, after which he returned to France in February last, being taken prisoner in April.

ANOTHER ORMSKIRK PRISONER ARRIVES

Lce.-Corporal J.E. Eastham, of the Rifle Brigade, younger son of the late Mr. James Eastham, of Wigan Road, Ormskirk, who has been a prisoner of war in Germany for the past twelve months, also arrived at Ripon last week and landed in Ormskirk on Monday night.

So, it's definitely worth looking through your local papers, just in case your man appears.

Ken

A brief update on my progress, or lack of it - well, zero to be exact!

Sadly, nothing on the Birmingham City Council website relating to POWs.

The search goes on.

Jan

Jan

Any chance that he gets a mention in the Birmingham volume of the 'National Roll of Honour'? Have you checked the British Red Cross/Order of St. John's enquiry lists?

Cheers,

Jim

Many thanks for the recent replies, full of encouragement and practical advice as ever. The site mentioned above by Staffs Lass in post #10 is a real find for anyone researching a man from Wolverhampton.

Jim

I intend to check the National Roll of Honour next time I'm in Birmingham. I didn't realise that the British Red Cross/Order of St. John had information on POWs. How does it differ from that obtainable from the ICRC? The reply I received from the ICRC was disappointingly vague. No details that convinced me the report was for the "right" man - it could have applied to anyone with the same name.

Cheers

Jan