Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V FARDELL - Benington War Memorial

Paul Johnson

Benington War Memorial contains a couple of names I am unable to trace. This is one of them. Can anyone help me please?

V FARDELL - PRIVATE

(I have found an H V Fardell but there is no evidence to suggest that they are the same man)

Thank You.

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Paul

If you are talking about Benington Herts. then H. V. Fardell could be your man. Here are details from SDGW.

Henry Victor Fardell

7th Bn. Bedfordshire Reg.

Cpl. 10699

Born Therfield Herts.

Enlisted Hertford

Resident Therfield

Died

17/08/18

F&F

Men at that time often used their middle name rather than their first. Often they were named after their fathers and using the middle name avoided confusion within the family. However Cpl. rather than Pte ?

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle,

Therfield is not very far from Benington, so this could be the man but I have not been able to tie anything to him to confirm this. I dont want to list the wrong man, that would be terrible.

I am sure you are right but I will keep looking for further info, just to be sure.

Regards

Paul

There is a Henry Fardell born at Therfield listed in 1901 census aged 6 which could be the same person as your man.There are also three more Fardells all born at Therfield.

Harry Fardell - 66 years old - Occ: Ordinary Agricultural Labourer

(He could be an older father or grandfather)

Harold Fardell 1 year old

Joseph Fardell 3 years old.

As they were all born in Therfield I suggest that you check the local papers from 1914-1918 as it is very likely that they would include information on Henry Victor.

Myrtle

If I can back up Myrtle here, once you go past the CWGC and SDGW, the next has to be the 1901 census, after that well free bmd can be of use.. local knowledge helps with parish church records possibly, even a kellys directory. The last two not being online though would need a visit to either the church (if a member) or the local county record office. Could be a visit to the Family record Centre near the Angel or a check with the local library to see if they have the Births, marriages and deeaths lists....

so much to do :)

John

Looks like a trip to the FRC for me. That way I can get a copy of his Death cert to see where he was living at the time of his death.

Thank you once again for all your help with this.

Paul

Also check, if possible, where his parents, grandparents and other relatives lived at the time of his death as men were often commemorated on relatives' local memorials, even if the man himself was not a resident of the same village.