Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vancouver and Halifax, Canada

christine liava'a

Having looked at the posts about Wei hai wei in North China, and noting that the Chinese Labour Corps men were sent via Vancouver across Canada to Halifax, thence to Britain, as were the men from Fiji, and probably some individuals from New Zealand and Australia, could some Canadian pal enlighten me as to what records, if any, were kept at these two ports of foreigners passing through on the way to war?

Christine

• 4 years later...

Found this entry re Fijians in the July 1918 War Diary of the District Barrack Officer Military District 6 (Halifax NS); got curious and searched for more info which eventually led me to this thread almost 5 years after your original post.

Hopefully these other items in Canadian records pertaining to this group will be interesting and useful

War Diary DAA & QMG Military District 6, see entry for July 23 1918

War Diary GSO Military District 11 (British Columbia), see entry for July 17, 1918

Passenger Manifest for SS Niagara arrived Vancouver July 17,1917 from Sydney, Auckland, Suva, Honolulu Cover and a list of men on Military Service including some Fijians

• 9 years later...

So the trip across Canada took a week - 17 july to 23 July, in 1918.

Could you find similar entries for the Fiji Labour Corps who travelled in June 1917, same route? I have problems with Canadian records!

Edited by christine liava'a