Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl. Guy Alden

Guest palden

I am researching my family history - and have discovered that my Grandfather was in the Liverpool Regiment (No. 99403, rank of Corporal 2nd). I have obtained information from the PRO that confirm he served from 1914 to 1920. Also I have downloaded a copy of his medal card confirming these details (lucky they have finished "A" already!).

I understand from "The Long, Long Trail" on this website that I need to plough through the records at Kew - but is there anyone with any information that will assist?

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Alden

Paul

Can you help us out a bit, please - by letting us know what sort of info you are looking for.

If you've looked at the mother site you will have seen that it is possible that your Grandfather's service papers may have survived on microfilm, but only about a 30% chance. You would need to visit the National Archive or pay a researcher to do it for you.

From his medal card, you should now know which Battalion of the Kings Liverpool he served with. This should enable you to track his likely service from the published histories.

Just a thought, though. I'm not familiar with Kings Regiment service numbers, but I think his looks a bit odd for someone joining in 1914. I'd have guessed much later.

John

Paul,

From your grandfather's Medal Index Card, what medals was he entitled to and what date and place did he enter a theatre of war. I may be wrong but the dates 1914 - 1920 mentioned on the on-line mic page are the dates that cover all of the mics and not necessarly your grandfathers dates of service.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

To John and Steve,

Thanks for you responses.

Sorry for long delay in replying, but last week was first time I found this site - and I really didn't reallise it quite so active!!

I would like to establish what my grandfather did in the Great War.

I know a little more since the original message, because I have obtained a 1918 birth certificate of one of Guy Alden's children. It quotes his home address in Weybridge and his as occuption: "Corporal 5th Kings Liverpool Regiment".

I presume that will indicate "5th Battalion".

Regarding service, Steve has a point - that the dates 1914-1920 were noted from the mic. medal record - so I cannot be sure when he joined the army.

He was entitled to the Victory and British Medals. I think I have these:

(1) One is Bronze colour with inscription "THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVIISATION 1914-1919" and angel (?) on other side. It has small roung clasp.

(2) Other shows George V and horseman on back. It has what I would call conventional medal clip.

Both medals have his name, number and Liverpoll Regiment inscribed around side.

Other than that, I have no further information - except that he was one of the lucky ones to survive. I do just remember him, he died in 1950 (age 60) when I was 5.

I guess that the next step should to visit Kew to investigate if there are any other records that survive.

Thanks again for your comments.

Paul Alden

Paul

Yep, I think a trip to Kew is on the cards for you. You'll now want to see if his service papers are amongst the "burnt" ones on microfilm. While you are there you'll also be wanting to read the War Diary (suggest you pre-book this with PRO so it's waiting for you).

No doubt, you'll also be checking out military books websites (like naval & Military or Roy Westlake), to buy the history of the Kings. In my view, histories are a re useful additon to the War Diary as the often give a wider perspective to what happened (the Diary being written up aon a day-to-day basis).

John

Paul,

Did you pay your £3 and download a copy of his Medal Index Card?

I suspect that he may have served with another unit prior to transferring to the King's Liverpool Regiment. The reason I say this is that I am researching another of the territorial battalions of the King's (the 9th) and 5-figure numbers (from 30,000 onwards, and perhaps before that) appear to be transferees from elsewhere within the Army.

If you have a copy of the MIC that might give details of other units he served with. Alternatively his service papers, if they have survived, will be the best source of further information.

The fact that you say he was entitled to the two medals (British War Medal & Victory Medal) suggests that he did not go overseas in 1914 or 1915 but some time later.

Also, the rank of 2nd Corporal is not one that I have seen reference to in a territorial infantry battalion. This might suggest service with the Royal Engineers which is the only unit, to my knowledge, which used this rank. Alternatively, if you got this information from the medal index card online it could be a trancscription error.

I hope that helps,

Ken

Paul,

Reading John's reply reminded me - if you find any specific dates in his service with the 5th King's and need a look-up from the battalion War Diary, let me know.

Ken