Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial plaque

Guest Guard 1

I've just got a Memorial plaque to JOHN EPTON.

I've looked on CWGC and there are two by this name, Well both are J EPTON. I've also looked on soldiers died and there is a JOHN EPTON machine gun corps. This confirms that it could be this man. I see that both men are from Lincolnshire.

If their is anyone out there that confirm which man it is that would be great.

The other man was in the RMLI and died 07/09/1919 would there be a plaque for this man as this date is quite late?

All the best Rowland.

ROLAND

I think our resident memorial plaque expert is in India at the moment.Have you thedeath date for both soldiers?If you look at the back is there anything there?If not lok at the back leg of the lion,down by the grass.Is there a number there? If thertev is then it may be an early one if the back has an interleaved WA then it may be latter.

You will find atleast two threads on plaques on forum.look them up.they will give you much more information than I can.

Cheers.

JOHN. :D

Owning a memorial plaque with a fairly ‘common’ name (for better or worse) is having to be ok with the fact that there many be two, or ten or more (i.e: John Smith) with the same name.

There is almost no way of proving which ‘John Smith’ your plaque is attributed, unless of course it is accompanied by his service medals, or another piece of officially named documentation, i.e.: a Memorial Scroll. Outside of this you will have a hard time convincing another collector that ‘your’ John Smith is the Lieut. with the MC, killed July 1, 1916.

Enjoy your plaque for what it is, a commemoration of two soldiers.

If only the plaque could talk! Then we would know which for sure.

'lok at the back leg of the lion,down by the grass.Is there a number there? If thertev is then it may be an early one'

Hi John,

Ive got a death plaque to an Arthur jarman he was killed on the 26/8/1914 at Mons just ages 17 years. After reading ur reply on here Ive found a munber at the back of the lions leg! wot does this number stand for? an issue number, batch number?

regards

Tom

P.S sorry for changing the subject rowland!!!

'lok at the back leg of the lion,down by the grass.Is there a number there? If thertev is then it may be an early one'

Hi John,

Ive got a death plaque to an Arthur jarman he was killed on the 26/8/1914 at Mons just ages 17 years. After reading ur reply on here Ive found a munber at the back of the lions leg! wot does this number stand for? an issue number, batch number?

regards

Tom

P.S sorry for changing the subject rowland!!!

Have a look at this thread. The issue was explored in great depth. Your answers should be in here.

David

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...hl=death+plaque

Hi,

Many thanks for your help so far.

David I agree when you come across plaque that could be to more than one person, it's still great to have as it does commerate a soldier that gave their life.

As I'm from Lincolnshire I would like to find out who this plaque commerates. I brought it in Lincolnshire. It's always worth trying to pin down who a plaque commerates.

The plaque is marked with the Woolwich WA on the back, and on the front in between the lions legs is the number 77.

Rowland.

Rowland,

Your plaque is for John Epton, and there is a John Epton MGC and a J Epton RMLI. As they were both from your county, Lincolnshire, it should be fairly easy for you to at least try to eliminate J Epton from the frame. What you need to do is to look at the RMLI J Epton's local newspaper obituaries, 1901 census for his place of birth etc etc to see if he was indeed a John. His father was a Joseph so the chances are he could have also been a Joseph. If he was Joseph then John Epton is a name that is unique to the MGC man.

Steve

I've just got a Memorial plaque to JOHN EPTON. I've looked on CWGC and there are two by this name, Well both are J EPTON. I've also looked on soldiers died and there is a JOHN EPTON machine gun corps. This confirms that it could be this man. I see that both men are from Lincolnshire.

If their is anyone out there that confirm which man it is that would be great.

The other man was in the RMLI and died 07/09/1919 would there be a plaque for this man as this date is quite late?

Hi,

Plaques to Royal Marines follow the naval trend of having a narrower H in He than in Honour (as in the legend 'HE DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR'). Army plaques have an H of equal size. An example of an army plaque can be found at:

http://met.open.ac.uk/group/jwl/plaque.htm

An example of a Navy / RMLI plaque can be found at:

http://www.jackclegg.com/

The difference is subtle unless you can compare two plaques in real life side by side. Confirmation of the Marines first name can be obtained from his service reocrd at the PRO in ADM 159.

Which kind of plaque do you have? Does it make any difference to you personally whether the individual is RMLI or MGC? If it is to the RMLI then PM me and I'll see what else I can tell you.

Regards,

Alex.

Many thanks again for the added information.

I see the plaque on Jack Clegg site there is a large difference in size of the two H's.

My plaque they appear to be the same size.

I've had a look at another plaque that I have to a Captain in the RMLI and the H's are different on this. So as mine are the same width it must be to the MGC soldier.

It doesn't make any difference to me personally who the plaque is to. But as research does cost money, and I carn't get to the PRO myself it would be easier to find out who it commerates first.

Another problem I have is that I don't live in Lincolnshire any more. This means I can not get to the local archives.

All the best Rowland.