Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

90th Anniversary Mick Mannock

Paul Reed

Does anyone know of any commemorations in the UK or France connected with the 90th Anniversary of Mick Mannock's death on 26th July? Or around that date?

Name: MANNOCK, EDWARD

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 85th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Royal Engineers

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 26/07/1918

Awards: V C, D S O and 2 Bars, M C and Bar

Additional information: Son of Mrs. J. Mannock, of 24, Lozells Rd., Six Ways, Birmingham. In addition to his Citation, the following information should also be noted: Major Mannock was involved in the downing of at least 23 further aircraft, but because others might well have assisted in their destruction these were not added to the total in his VC Citation.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

Citation: An extract from the "London Gazette", dated 18th July, 1919, records the following:-"On the 17th June, 1918, he attacked a Halberstadt machine near Armentieres and destroyed it from a height of 8,000 feet. On the 7th July, 1918, near Doulieu, he attacked and destroyed one Fokker (red-bodied) machine, which went vertically into the ground from a height of 1,500 feet. Shortly afterwards he ascended 1,000 feet and attacked another Fokker biplane, firing 60 rounds into it, which produced an immediate spin, resulting, it is believed, in a crash. On the 14th July, 1918, near Merville, he attacked and crashed a Fokker from 7,000 feet, and brought a two-seater down damaged. On the 19th July, 1918, near Merville, he fired 80 rounds into an Albatross two-seater, which went to the ground in flames. On the 20th July, 1918, East of La Bassee, he attacked and crashed an enemy two-seater from a height of 10,000 feet. About an hour afterwards he attacked at 8,000 feet a Fokker biplane near Steenwercke and drove it down out of control, emitting smoke. On the 22nd July, 1918, near Armentieres, he destroyed an enemy triplane from a height of 10,000 feet. Major Mannock was awarded the undermertioned distinctions for his previous combats in the air in France and Flanders:-Military Cross, gazetted 17th Sept., 1917; Bar to Military Cross, gazetted 18th Oct., 1917; Distinguished Service Order, gazetted 16th Sept., 1918; Bar to Distinguished Service Order (1st), gazetted 16th Sept., 1918; Bar to Distinguished Service Order (2nd), gazetted 3rd Aug., 1918. This highly distinguished officer during the whole of his career in the Royal Air Force, was an outstanding example of fearless courage, remarkable skill, devotion to duty and self-sacrifice, which has never been surpassed. The total number of machines definitely accounted for by Major Mannock up to the date of his death in France (26th July, 1918) is 50 - the total specified in the " Gazette " of 3rd Aug., 1918, was incorrectly given as 48 instead of 41."

I don't know about this, but there has been a lot of publicity about the 90th anniversary of MvR - books, the film - but not much about the anniversarys of the deaths of our own aces this year.

McCudden is 9th July, and many others - Little, Booker, McElroy, Dallas; I'm sure we can all think of more. Maybe people feel that we shouldn't highlight the famous names over and above the many unknown but just as deserving ones.

Thanks, I take you point, but I wasn't proposing a debate on the merits of remembering the 'famous few', I was just asking if anything was taking place in respect of Mannock. Seemingly not, given the response!

Myself and Freddy1918 intend to be at Wavans for Jimmy McCudden's anniversary. I did email Cross and Cockade and ask if anything was planned but had no reply.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Did anyone realise he had a connection to Ashford? Yes indeed he lived here for a short time when his Territorial Force unit (2nd Home Counties Field Ambulance) moved from Canterbury to the Drill Hall Ashford. I keep meaning to complete my VC page on kentfallen it's incomplete at present. I have tried to list all VC winners with a Kent connection.

I have an interest in Mannock, alongside Jimmy McCudden Kent's other famous RFC VC pilot.

There used to be an anniversary service each year in Canterbury Cathedral, but I don't know if it is still held. I went once with Mick's niece, an hilarious occasion.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There used to be an anniversary service each year in Canterbury Cathedral, but I don't know if it is still held. I went once with Mick's niece, an hilarious occasion.

Here's the memorial to Mannock in the nave in Canterbury Cathedral:

DSC04571.jpg

Just peeking into the bottom of the picture is the top of an RAF wreath.

This link will take you to a newspaper report of the anniversary service in 2009:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gazette/news/2009/july/29/mick_mannock.aspx

I have been interested in his mother's Birmingham address on CWGC i.e in Birmingham. Some time ago I could not find her on the 1911 census for the Bham area. Anyone know anymore!

Alan,

It appears that his mother Julia moved around a lot and was probably not in Birmingham in 1911. In 1916 she was living at 10 Bruce St, Belfast and later at 159 Divis St, Belfast. In 1918/19 she lived at two addresses 15 Witton Rd, Sixways, Aston, Birmingham and 96 Ettington Rd, Aston. It seems she later moved to 24, Lozells Rd., Six Ways, Birmingham which is the address on Mick Mannock's CWGC entry. His father Edward lived at 29 Siebert Rd, Westcombe Park, Blackheath, London in 1919. This information was taken from his 'officer's papers'.

Promenade

Paul,

Has the problem of the unknown grave "alleged" to be Mick Mannock been resolved?

Regards.

Colin.

Merci

Alan,

It appears that his mother Julia moved around a lot and was probably not in Birmingham in 1911. In 1916 she was living at 10 Bruce St, Belfast and later at 159 Divis St, Belfast. In 1918/19 she lived at two addresses 15 Witton Rd, Sixways, Aston, Birmingham and 96 Ettington Rd, Aston. It seems she later moved to 24, Lozells Rd., Six Ways, Birmingham which is the address on Mick Mannock's CWGC entry. His father Edward lived at 29 Siebert Rd, Westcombe Park, Blackheath, London in 1919. This information was taken from his 'officer's papers'.

Promenade

• 7 years later...