Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fort de Tavannes in danger?

Pierre Grande Guerre

It is forbidden to enter the area of Fort de Tavannes near Verdun. The debris, dangerous corridors, unreliable tunnels, and still uncleared explosives forced the French Government to call the site strictly forbidden military terrain. Since I visited the site in 2006, I am worried about the decay of the fort.

Are there any plans known to clear the area and to restore the fort in it’s old status?

Click HERE for some more pictures of Fort de Tavannes.

11soydw.jpg

The 300 foot drop towards the Tavannes tunnel that is right inside the entrance to the fort to the right of the main entrance, also leads to an interesting last experience for some people.

It is, literally where you will put your foot as you ignore the no entry sign.

Why it was dug is a bit of a mystery, but it is thought that they were probably trying to make a second entrance into the tunnel.

There is UXB inside the fort, but no more than elsewhere around Verdun.

The 300 foot drop towards the Tavannes tunnel .......

By the way, Healdav, the original tunneltube of the Tunnel of Tavannes is in guite a good state, as you will probably know.

Foolishly in my youth I did venture into the grounds ( not the fort ). Soon a couple of Gendarmes pounced but they were reasonable. This is some 15 to 20 years ago! Be ware.

TT

• 7 months later...

As far as I know there are absolutely no plans to restore Fort Tavannes. Just think what it would cost. It still belongs to the army, as do all the Verdun forts that have not been sold (such as Fort de Marre and Fort de Dugny). It has been closely patrolled since the accident a couple of years ago when a young fellow fell down the main shaft into the 1917 system - he didn't survive. There was a similar accident in Fort Moulainville, which is also under surveillance.

Christina

Was there on 11 11 at 11a.m. seeing as my invite from Sarko & Charles didn't arrive :glare:

Cops everywhere but no one in the woods round Tavannes & Moulainville.Bliss

Don't try it at a time when Sarko and Charles are not there. Every policeman in the Meuse was looking towards the Ossuary on 11th. I even had a CRS tell me that M. le President was still 'sur le site' when he was actually about ten miles to the north at Ville devant Chaumont in the German cemetery.

Christina

Good Evening All.

It seems a shame that the French authorities are not doing anything to restore these forts around Verdun, considering at the time it was a matter of French Pride and importance that they had to be held at all costs against the German Army, and when you think of the horrors that took place there, this should be one of the main National Memorials to the memory of all those soldiers lives who fought to hold them and to France.I always thought that the French people were very Patriotic and after all the French army was nearly bled white at that time at Verdun.

Best Regards Andy

andy,

there's plenty to see round Verdun without the French having to restore forts & stuff.

Several are still on Army grounds & are restricted,some are just plain dangerous.

As stated in an earlier thread,the French lost a lot more men in 1914 than at Verdun 1916.

They can only go so far but,it's a great place to visit.Just do some prep before you go.

Don't try it at a time when Sarko and Charles are not there. Every policeman in the Meuse was looking towards the Ossuary on 11th. I even had a CRS tell me that M. le President was still 'sur le site' when he was actually about ten miles to the north at Ville devant Chaumont in the German cemetery.

Christina

Saw the bloke come(plus some other big nobs)while I was doing the rounds on the 11th.Didn't see him go,though.

PICT3467.jpg

Everywhere shut.This at Eix.

No truth in the rumour Dave, that you blocked the road and made Sarko 10 minutes late?

GB :P

Just 'cos I'd planted a big photo of Camilla on the the roundabout doesn't mean that it was my fault Police called it in as a 'suspect device'. :blush:

• 13 years later...

I'm aware that this is a very old thread, but I hope you find my contribution interesting nevertheless.

Back in 1956, an American GI died having fallen into a shaft at Fort de Tavannes; it took 5 days to find him. I have an article about this accident in my blog; it's in German language, but maybe of interest. 

Fort de Tavannes is a really dangerous place, and it's good that the entrance is blocked nowadays. I'm not aware of any plans to restore it, and I couldn't imagine anyway how to achieve this.

16 hours ago, Champsavin said:

I'm aware that this is a very old thread, but I hope you find my contribution interesting nevertheless.

Back in 1956, an American GI died having fallen into a shaft at Fort de Tavannes; it took 5 days to find him. I have an article about this accident in my blog; it's in German language, but maybe of interest. 

Fort de Tavannes is a really dangerous place, and it's good that the entrance is blocked nowadays. I'm not aware of any plans to restore it, and I couldn't imagine anyway how to achieve this.

It's very dangerous. Not just the large hole to the right of the entrance, but also, you CAN, get to the basement and that is full of chemicals in the old magazines - which are still there, complete with doors.

Apart from the danger of being arrested, this is a very dangerous place right through.