Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Dido sunk 26th February 1916 North Sea

Bods

Thanks for that Ron

I did check off the entire casualty list with Hull CC; looks like we have found who we are going to find

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

MOSS, WILLIAM HENRY

Date of Death:26/02/1916

Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave Reference328.46

CemeteryHULL (HEDON ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of William Henry and Charlotte Moss, of 5, Villa Terrace, Walker St., Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Assistant Cook Moss is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. The casualty has been commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial and will be removed as and when the panel is replaced.

Commemoration Moved From Tower Hill

SMITH, JOHN

Date of Death:26/02/1916

Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCpt.3. Grave 59

CemeteryHULL (HEDON ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Mary and the late Henry Smith; husband of Gertrude Crowson Smith (nee Lidster), of 1, Ann's Place, Francis St., Hull. Born at Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Fireman Smith is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

Commemoration Moved From Tower Hill

• 9 months later...

I have been carrying out some research into the casualties of this ship working on the premise that some of the bodies were washed ashore; what has happened that the search has show that there was an additional member of the crew who was not commemorated at the time

From NE Lincs archives

The burial of John Black is recorded in the register of Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby.

Entry 21,670

John Black, aged 53, seaman on Wilson liner Dido, 10 Lower East Street, Middlesbrough, Drowned off Spurn, died 26 February 1916, and buried on 1st March 1916 in grave 42-C-5. Informant was A.R.Watson, and the officiating minister was S.H.Burgess.

(A.R.Watson was a Grimsby undertaker).

He has been reported to the IFCP project who are now dealing this matter

I will be carrying out a search of other cemeteries as there is a reference in the Times to 8 bodies being washed ashore at Donna Nook Lincs

IFCP has now had sight of the Maritime Death Register which shows John Black was the stowaway so he will not be eligible for CWGC Commemoration

• 5 months later...

I return to the site every so often in case of any updates and the latest info regarding the stowaway is particularly interesting.

I wonder if he was in fact a seaman and why he stowed away on the Dido?

Any further info regarding him would certainly add to the whole 'Dido story'.

Not much really

He was John Black from Middlesbrough cause of death exposure, exhaustion & drowning

Chris

• 6 months later...

Guys today the 17/02/2014 we have marked four more graves of the crew of the SS Dido they are

Able Seaman H Bosted age 49 Hull Western cemetery compartment 517 grave 49902.

Fireman Alfred Westerlund age 37 Hull Western Cemetery compartment 528 grave 50937.

Able Seaman James Lees age 24 Hull Hedon road cemetery compartment 350 grave 64.

Fireman Bastian Van Dyk age 34 Hull Hedon road cemetery compartment 3 grave 58

New Headstones will be ordered by the end of the week. We still have about 8 to erect as soon as they arrive from the factory in France. But that will not be till later in the year as we are finishing a major refurbishment a cemetery in Normandy ready for the 70th anniversary of D day.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Missed this when originally posted. Great news

• 2 months later...

BOSTED, H

Rank:Able SeamanDate of Death:26/02/1916Age:49Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine S.S. "Dido" (Hull) Grave Reference517. 49902CemeteryHULL WESTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Born in Norway.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Able Seaman Bosted is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a special headstone to mark his grave.Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

WESTERLUND, ALFRED

Rank:FiremanDate of Death:26/02/1916Age:37Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine S.S. "Dido" (Hull) Grave Reference528. 50937CemeteryHULL WESTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Born in Sweden.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Fireman Westerlund is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing an alternative commemoration headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

LEES, JAMES

Rank:Able SeamanDate of Death:26/02/1916Age:24Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine S.S. "Dido" (Hull) Grave Reference350. 64CemeteryHULL (HEDON ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Born at Calcutta.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Able Seaman Lees is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing an alternative commemoration headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

VAN DYK, BASTIAN

Rank:FiremanDate of Death:26/02/1916Age:34Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine "Dido" (Hull). Grave Reference3. 58CemeteryHULL (HEDON ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Husband of Annie Elizabeth Van Dyk (nee Lidster), of 73, Alicia St., Hull, Yorks. Born at Rotterdam, Holland.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Fireman Van Dyk is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing an alternative commemoration headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

Commemorations Moved From Tower Hill Memorial

• 1 year later...

Guys you will be pleased to know that this week we have erected four new headstones in Hedon road cemetery Hull to John Smith, Charles Edwin Rands, William Hardcastle and William Henry Moss.

There are still 4 to come for Hull western cemetery and this year we have ordered four others all off the Dido

• 1 year later...

Great news that Dido crewmen have received or will be receiving their headstones and are still remembered.

Sterling work Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Bods. I am also George Skipworths great grandson, my grandfather was Ronald Skipworth who was also a merchant seaman and served in WW2. Ive been researching our family history and actually visited George Skipworths grave last week. At the moment he has a small metal sheet marking his grave, stating his headstone is being conserved. All his details are on the metal sheet, written in marker pen. I do have a photo, which i will post on this thread soon.  John William Skipworth was Georges son, our great uncle.

20160724_091856.jpg

20160724_091909.jpg

20160724_091932.jpg

Edited by Skippytyke

Edgar Vinsons grave. He too has the small metal sheet to mark his grave. Edgar is buried in a family grave and his name is recorded on the family headstone.

20160823_091440.jpg

20160823_091504.jpg

Edited by Skippytyke

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen a picture of the Dido on here though I've found one on Google:

http://humberfirstworldwar.co.uk/1916/wilson-line-ship-ss-dido-sunk-by-a-german-mine/

I have come by a painting, unsigned and undated but attributed to a sought after artist Luigi Roberto (1845-1910). I'm not sure the the attribution is correct and I will be taking it to one of the top auction houses to get their view as to whether it's Roberto or one of his followers though I think it is probably genuine. Though the hull matches the Google photograph, it has four masts and a small funnel behind the main one. I've no doubt it's the Dido, the painting is titled in paint and is also painted on the bows of the boat. I may also contact Hull Museum but I'd appreciate any information. A photo of my picture is below which seems to show the Dido had been modified; I'm guessing the painting may have been from the 1880s.003.thumb.JPG.23ee9b974fce067cf5efbac36bd8e3d6.JPG

The Wilson Line of Hull had three ships which they named DIDO, the first built in 1862 and sold in 1894 is most probably the one in your painting, she certainly has the correct hull and funnel colours.  The second DIDO built in 1896 and mined and sunk near the Spurn Lightship in 1916 is the one in the photograph you have found on Google.  The third DIDO was built in 1920 and surrendered to the Germans in Brest in 1940 so of no interest to you here.

TH

9 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

The Wilson Line of Hull had three ships which they named DIDO, the first built in 1862 and sold in 1894 is most probably the one in your painting, she certainly has the correct hull and funnel colours.  The second DIDO built in 1896 and mined and sunk near the Spurn Lightship in 1916 is the one in the photograph you have found on Google.  The third DIDO was built in 1920 and surrendered to the Germans in Brest in 1940 so of no interest to you here.

TH

Thanks for that, back to the drawing board for me.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...