Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres, July 1918

stiletto_33853

Been asked to place a few of these on the forum, all came from the family of a KRRC officer, his son served in WWII with the KRRC and is a delight to talk to. All these were taken on the 4/7/18

O7b 6

post-1871-1207923441.jpg

What wonderful views !

Especially the first, as I know the area quite well. (I walk there several times a week. And yes, I know, I am privileged ! :rolleyes: )

Just this, for those who take a special interest in photo #3. Orientation is wrong.

This is the west half of the town, taken from the north, facing south. Where it says "Menin Gate" should be "Lille Gate", and "to Zonnebeke" should be "to Lille".

Aurel

Aurel,

I wondered if these would interest you.

Andy

Thanks for putting these up Andy, and also to the owner for making them available. It's interesting to see birds-eye views of the devastation of an area where the views from the ground are so familiar.

Nigel

The last one in the series from Ypres, but, there are quite a few from Arras and Vis en Artois.

Andy

post-1871-1207939418.jpg

The shellhole numbers are terrifying. Brilliant pictures.

Hello Andy,

have you anything about Morslede-Zonnebeke-Frezenberg 1916/17

or

Neuville-Vitasse at Arras 1917?

Regards

Fritz

Hi Fritz,

The officer these came from was in the 14th Division, there are more in this series from Arras with some of the Neuville Vitasse area just before the attack. All the one's from the immediate Ypres area I have put up here.

Andy

What wonderful views !

Especially the first, as I know the area quite well. (I walk there several times a week. And yes, I know, I am privileged ! :rolleyes: )

Just this, for those who take a special interest in photo #3. Orientation is wrong.

This is the west half of the town, taken from the north, facing south. Where it says "Menin Gate" should be "Lille Gate", and "to Zonnebeke" should be "to Lille".

Aurel

Correct Aurel "Majoorgracht" and " het Kruitmagazijn" are very good visible.

Marnik

Thanks for sharing.

I knew Ypres was totally destroyed in WW1, but I've never seen pics that show so clearly how complete the destruction has been.

This is not a destroyed town, this is an open space where a town used to be.

Roel

Very good and a pleasure to see them here on the Forum, instead of on E-bay at a fortune................well done.

Cheers

Bob Grundy

Andy

Thank you for sharing these splendid views with the forum

Would like to see any from the Arras front too, if that is OK :blush:

Andy

:rolleyes:

Hi Andy,

I will start a seperate thread for those pictures of the Arras area for you, Fritz and all those interested.

Andy