Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buffs Officers

Michael

I am building up a database of officers who served in the Buffs during WW1.

If you have any on your memorials or own any medals, photos, etc (I don't want to buy them) please let me know. I'd like to add more detail to my list and will be happy to do free research for you.

Michael

Hi,

The 15 star and VM to 2nd Lt Hubert Charles Halliday 7th Bn. E. Kent Regt. are in circulation somewhere - I sold them a few years back. His BWM was missing and service papers revealed that he had served in the ranks (star impressed Lance Sergeant) and WiA at St. Quentin and lost 1/2" in one of his legs as a result. He died in the mid 60's. He has servie papers at the PRO in WO 338.

Rgds,

Alex.

Cheers Alex

Captain Morrell and 2nd Lieutenant Halliday were wounded on 23 March 1918 during some grim fighting in Frieres Wood trying to repel the German onslaught. It was reported that nothing beyond the range of 50 yards could be observed.

Michael

Mick,

I am not sure if we have spoken of this before but George Seago was commisioned from the ranks of the Royal Fusiliers into The Buffs I think in late 1917, and from what I can gather was immediately attached to the Gloucester Regt and subsequently died of wounds sometime late in 1918.

Technically would you be interested in him? I have loads of info. Or from your sources, do you have anything you can share with me.

Jon

Guest J.Woodward

Michael,

John Stanley Horsfall Shafto M.C, an Old Boy of Truro College, Cornwall

2nd Lieutenant, 8th Bn. The Buffs.

K.I.A Saturday 12 August 1916.

Transferred from reserve battalion to front line battalion of the Buffs 13th November -with seniority from 10th April 1915. M.C gazetted 23rd June 1916

Comm. Bray Military Cemetery, Somme.

I've asked about him on the forum before and it has been suggested that his MC came in the Kings birthday honours - no entry in London Gazette for it you see. Hope this helps

Joe

michael,

This might be of use have a look www.digserve.com/peter/buffs/new-0.htm list buffs killed inc officers with a few bios.

Andy

Joe

I have no more info than I posted before to your request. Maybe you missed the last post I made on the thread - try a search for Shafto. His service record is next on my list.

Michael

George Seago

Jon

2LT GWE Seago was in the 6th Bn and had a seniority of 26/9/16. On 3rd May 1917 during the battle of Scarpe, the Bn lost many officers and he was sent up from the detail camp, arriving at 10pm. He was sent forward to re-organise what was left of the Bn.

The following day, the Bn was reorganised into 2 companies No1 company's officers were all 2nd lieutenants (Stevens, Sowter and Seago).

He was in the Army List for the Buffs in Aug 17 but was not in the May 18 List

Mick

Jon, his SR is WO 339/63318. I'll get it out next time

Michael

The following Buffs officers are commemorated on the Cheltenham Borough War Memorial:

Captain Alfred Sackville CRESSWELL - 2nd Buffs. KIA Belgium 13 March 1915.

Captain Lawrence FORT - 2 Buffs. KIA Belgium 15 February 1915.

Colonel Augustus David GEDDES - Late 2 Buffs. KIA Belgium 28 April 1915.

Captain Alexander Falkland GULLAND - 3 Buffs. DOW Belgium 16 June 17, is commemorated on the war memorial at Prestbury, just outside Cheltenham.

I have photos of them all, which I will dig out, scan and forward to you ASAP.

Regards

Jimmy

Jon, his SR is WO 339/63318. I'll get it out next time

I think his SR was the first officer file I took out and my notes dont make me feel as I did a thorough job ... no digital cameras in those days. To I have never gone back to his SR as I have been concentrating on those named on the War Memorial.

From memory/notes he requested to be commisioned into the West Kents (he was born in Lewisham I think - lived London Road, Rainham, when war broke out). However it would appear he got his second choice - The Buffs. My notes suggest he was transferred to the Ox & Bucks from 1/1/1918, and then subsequently attached to the 1/5 Gloucesters.

He was married (whilst on leave after returning with 6/Buffs from Italy - so yep he did serve with them) and the three males of the wedding party were all dead within the year. George died of wounds, his Best Man 2/Lt Lionel Wheatley MGC I think died at Cambrai, and the Reverend Cobb who had himself some years before, been awarded the Albert Medal (in Gold) for life saving but thats another story ... also died in 1918.

I have some details on Seago's family and there is a picture of him in one of the local newspapers following his commission I think.

Michael,

First photo, Capt Cresswell.

post-2-1076537481.jpg

Second photo, Capt Fort.

post-2-1076537569.jpg

Third photo, Colonel Geddes.

post-2-1076537649.jpg

Michael,

Final photo, Capt Gulland.

Thanks for your offer of info on these officers - I will gladly accept!!

Regards

Jimmy

post-2-1076537774.jpg

The following brief obituary of Lawrence Fort was published in the Kentish Express and Ashford News on 6 Match 1916:

"Captain Lawrence Fort, East Kent Regiment, who was killed in action was born in September 1881, and was gazetted second-lieutenant in the Buffs in August, 1900. Promotion came in Spetember 1903, and he got his company in the 2nd Battalion on October 1911. Captain Fort served in the South African War, taking part in the operations in the Transvaal and receiving the Queen's medal with five clasps. He was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs J Fort, of De Vere Gardens, Kensington."

Steve, Jimmy, brilliant thanks very much

Malcolm, a similar piccie of the Buffs would be nice. I was going through the names of those Ox and Bucks officers thinking you'd left me a cryptic clue.

Michael

Mick,

Try www.digiserve/peter/buffs, its there alright.

Andy

yikes

www.didiserve.com/peter/buffs sorry mick

Andy