Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2934 Pte D Gillies, Seaforth Highlanders.

Max

Hello everyone

Could someone with access to the SDGW cds please do a lookup for 2934 Pte D Gillies, Seaforth Highlanders.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Max

Donald Gillies

Pte

4th Reserve Bn, Seaforth Highlanders

Enlisted Dingwall, Ross-Shire

Died Home 31/5/15

Doesn't indicate where born or lived

Michael

Thanks for that Michael.

Donald is my wifes GGreat Uncle. He was born in Plockton nr Kyle of Lochalsh and is buried at Kishorn, just over the Loch from Plockton, in the family burial ground. The place is so beautiful on the shores of the Loch, it is a proper resting place for heroes.

What surprises me is that the Bn is listed as 4th Reserve, when, according to the main site there is no 4th Reserve Battalion.

I will have to do some checking.

Thanks again

Andy

Brigadier James 'British Regiments 1914-1918' gives the following.

3/4th, 3/5th, 3/6th Battalions TF Seaforth Highlanders formed in March 1915. May 1915 to Adersier, near Nairn, November 1915 Ripon. 8th April 1916 became Reserve Battalions. 1st September 1916 the 4th (Reserve) Battalion absorbed 5th and 6th Reserve Battalions at Ripon in Highland Reserve Brigade, TF. May1918 at Glencorse, Edinburgh where it remained in Forth Garrison.

Which is strange given his date of death.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for the rundown Malcolm, its all clear now :o

I'm going up to Plockton in June, so I now have an excuse to have a dig around and visit the Plockton Hotel to question the locals. I will also take the opportunity of photographing Donnies grave and entry on the War Memorial in Plockton.

Thanks again

Andy

• spof changed the title to 2934 Pte D Gillies, Seaforth Highlanders.
  • 1 year later...
On 09/02/2004 at 21:57, Max said:

Thanks for that Michael.

Donald is my wifes GGreat Uncle. He was born in Plockton nr Kyle of Lochalsh and is buried at Kishorn, just over the Loch from Plockton, in the family burial ground. The place is so beautiful on the shores of the Loch, it is a proper resting place for heroes.

What surprises me is that the Bn is listed as 4th Reserve, when, according to the main site there is no 4th Reserve Battalion.

I will have to do some checking.

Thanks again

Andy

Max

I am researching the Lochalsh War Memorial where Donald is remembered. Can you give me your email as it would be good to correspond with you.

Thanks

David

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, @Max hasn’t visited the forum since 2016. My post may alert them to your post. 

On 09/02/2004 at 16:12, Malcolm said:

Brigadier James 'British Regiments 1914-1918' gives the following.

3/4th, 3/5th, 3/6th Battalions TF Seaforth Highlanders formed in March 1915. May 1915 to Adersier, near Nairn, November 1915 Ripon. 8th April 1916 became Reserve Battalions. 1st September 1916 the 4th (Reserve) Battalion absorbed 5th and 6th Reserve Battalions at Ripon in Highland Reserve Brigade, TF. May1918 at Glencorse, Edinburgh where it remained in Forth Garrison.

Which is strange given his date of death.

Aye

Malcolm

The 4th Bn Seaforth Highlanders War Diary starts 2 Nov 1914, at Bedford.
The 4th Bn arrived Southampton Docks on 5 Nov 1914.
Reached Le Havre at Mid-day on 6 Nov 1914.
Bn disembarked at Le Havre and marched to Rest Camp No 2 at Blerville.

The Bn WD extends to Feb 1919 when on 26 Feb 1919 the Bn joined 187 Infantry Brigade, 62nd Division (Armies of Occupation).

References:
WD 95/2888/1
WD 95/2888/2
WD 95/3941/2

At no time in Sep 1916 is there any mention of absorbing other Battalions.

Tom.

WO-95-3941-2_Page_002.jpg