Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post Office Rifles (8th City of london Regt)

Tryng to find out all I can about the Post Office Rifles greatful for any information and also where I could obtain a copy of the book "Terriers in the Trenches" Many Thanks

I think that Charles' book is sadly out of print. I'd normally suggest Abebooks, but have just checked and there are no copies listed! Must be a collectors item now!

You might like to know there is a 1920s pamphlet-style history of the 8th Londons - I think by one of their c/os - the IWM or NAM might have a copy?

Greetings to all,

Slightly late now I know but had Bembridge looked in Document Repository then he would have seen I have a copy of this excellent book. However now Charles has been able to send a copy to Bembridge alls well that ends well.

Regards

Peter.

No doubt that Charles Messenger's book will give you all the information you will need. Can I suggest however that the "Postman's Gazette" which can be found at the British Library, Newspaper Library, Collindale, London, is worth a look. It mentions many men from the Post Office who served in the Great War.

Terry Reeves

Evening all.

There is also a website out there somewhere.

I used to have the web address,but sadly have lost it.

Just type in Post Offices rifles and it should pop up.

I have read a little about them as the brigade they were part of in the latter stages of the war,the 174th, was a sister brigade of my Great-Grandfathers brigade,the 173rd,in the 58th(2/1st)London Division.

Were definitely at 3rd Ypres for a while,and were involved in the March Retreat,in 1918.

Good luck with your hunt and if i can help anymore,please let me know.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Bembridge.

The web address is www.freespace.virgin.net/m.girling.

It contains a roll of honour and some other links.

All the best.

Simon Furnell.

Re information on the Post Office Rifles

My Dad has told me of a friend of the Family who was with the Post office rifles his name was

Bill or William Bacon He was awarded the MM we think for action in the High Wood area During the Battle of the Somme.

Stephen

Guest Pete Wood

If you go into the royal mail sorting office, at Twickenham, you'll find a roll of honour of those (local men?) who died in the PO Rifles. The roll, which I'm sure is hand drawn (but I last saw it 10 years ago), is behind the duty rosters, and other paperwork, in the reception area.

The sorting office is opposite Twickenham Railway Station.

Hi Stephen,

It seems your man W Bacon survied the war as his name is not listed on the Roll of Honour to the fallen. However he is listed in Appendix 2 Decoration and Awards under the list for MM winners as follows:

372434 Rfn Bacon W A

No other information is given as to where or for what he won the award.

Regards

Peter.