Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William George Peacock

Guest ejpeacock

Guest ejpeacock

I am new to this forum and to researching my family history and would really appreciate it if someone could look up William George Peacock (he is my Great Grandfather) Rifleman 2nd Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps. I have found a WG peacock on the CWGC but am not sure if this would definitely be him. WG Peacock date of death is 15/1/1919. Buried at Les Baraques Sangatte.

Any additional information would be fantastic.

Thanks, Eileen

Hello Eileen, and welcome

"Soldiers Died in the Great War" lists R/11813 Rifleman William George Peacock. It shows him as "Died" on 15 January 1919 (as opposed to killed in action, or died of wounds). It says he was born in Pimlico, lived in Forest Gate, Essex and enlisted in London. That him?

Guest ejpeacock

Thanks Chris.

There is a slight problem with my tracing of William George as I don't have his place of birth but according to his marriage certifcate in July 1915 he was 22. Which would make his birth somewhere around 1893. Is there a date of birth at all?

Thanks again for you help.

I'm afraid not. The only thing I didn't say was that it gave him as 2nd KRRC.

The only way to proceed now I guess is

1. Look up his service records;

2. Look up his death certificate.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help on this Chris. I took a trip to the family records office in Kew and in the burnt records section managed to find quite a few records relating to William George Peacock. Including his attestation when he joined up and some correspondence from his wife. From this I have manged to ascertain that he is my g grandfather. Quite a few records were illegible but were still fascinating to see. As you stated his death was only listed as died but from his death certificate I found out he actually died of influenza. I am planning on taking a trip to Calais to take a photo of his grave and if there is anyone who would like me to take a photo of someone elses grave who is buried at Les Baraques Military Cemetry Sangatte, I would be more than happy to do so.

Thanks again for all the help and the tips.

Great news on finding the papers, Eileen. If there any any bits that you can't interpret, let us know - I'm sure the forum will help.

Just in case you had not seen it, there is a lengthy extract from the 2nd KRRC war diary on the Long, Long Trail. Click here to go there.